Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Gonzales (Nathan) Stockton Electric Railroad Collection, 1900-1997
Mss286  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (62.28 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Access Points
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Gonzales (Nathan) Stockton Electric Railroad Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1900-1997
    Collection number: Mss286
    Creator: Nathan Gonzales
    Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
    Stockton, CA 95211
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Gonzales (Nathan) Stockton Electric Railroad Collection, Mss286, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library

    Access Points

    personal name

    Hogan, M.B.
    Smith, James W.

    corporate name

    Southern Pacific Railroad
    Central California Traction Company
    Stockton Electric Railroad

    subject

    Street-railroads -California -Stockton
    Stockton (Calif.) -History -Sources

    Biography

    Horse-drawn streetcars first appeared on the streets of Stockton, Calif. in April, 1874. Routes connected Main Street with Central Pacific and Stockton & Copperopolis railroad depots and with the steamboat levee. The following year a northbound second line was begun connecting downtown with the Stockton Insane Asylum. This system operated until replaced by the Stockton Electric Railroad (July 1892). Company owners replaced the old narrow gauge rails, added and extended routes in 1905-06. The California Traction Company, an electric railway that operated trains between Stockton and Sacramento, also provided street rail service to some Stockton locations during this period. In 1912, Henry Huntington of the Southern Pacific Railroad bought a controlling interest in both companies and soon arranged for SER to lease the CCT's Stockton tracks (1915). In 1924, Stockton Electric laid its last new tracks to the recently established campus of the College of the Pacific. Stockton streetcars survived the Depression, although the Company abandoned certain lines. Southern Pacific sold out to Pacific Lines during the 1930s and this company operated the Stockton Electric Railroad until it finally gave way to buses in 1941.

    Scope and Content

    The Gonzales Stockton Electric Railroad Collection consists of photocopies of primary and secondary source materials relating to history of Stockton Electric Railroad (1904-1942) and a paper examining factors leading to demise of that Company by Nathan Gonzales(1997).