Title: Poland. Konsulat (Cape Town) Miscellaneous records,
Date (inclusive): 1939-1948
Collection number: 75067
Poland. Konsulat (Cape Town)
1 manuscript box
((0.4 linear feet)
Hoover Institution Archives
Stanford, California 94305-6010
Abstract: Correspondence, clippings, photographs, pamphlets, and printed matter, relating to Polish commercial interests, emigre organizations,
fund raising for war relief, and consular activity in South Africa.
Physical Location: Hoover Institution Archives
Collection open for research.
The Hoover Institution Archives only allows access to
copies of audiovisual items. To listen to sound recordings or to view videos or films during your visit, please contact the Archives
at least two working days before your arrival. We will then advise you of the accessibility of the material you wish to see
or hear. Please note that not all audiovisual material is immediately accessible.
For copyright status, please contact
the Hoover Institution Archives.
[Identification of item], Poland. Konsulat (Cape Town) Miscellaneous records, [Box no.], Hoover Institution
Materials were acquired by the Hoover Institution Archives in 1975
Materials may have been added to the collection since this finding aid was prepared. To determine if this has occurred, find
the collection in Stanford University's online catalog at
. Materials have been added to the collection if the number of boxes listed in the online catalog is larger than the number
of boxes listed in this finding aid.
World War, 1939-1945.
World War, 1939-1945--Civilian relief.
World War, 1939-1945--Poland.
World War, 1939-1945--Refugees.
Cape Town (South Africa)
Poland--Foreign relations--South Africa.
South Africa--Foreign relations--Poland.
A Polish Consulate General was established in Cape Town, Union of South Africa, on January 1, 1929. It was headed by Consul
General Micha[UNK]l Kwapiszewski from January 1, 1930 to August 1, 1931. It then became an Honorary Consulate under Honorary
Consul Cyryl Caro (August 1, 1931-September 15, 1934). In 1935, it was a Consular Agency and in 1936 an Honorary Vice-Consulate
under Jan Majewski. In 1938, the post was an Honorary Consulate with Majewski as Honrary Consul, and in 1939 its status was
raised to that of a regular Consulate. It remained as such, under Consul Majewski, until its liquidation in 1946. Among the
changes occurring during this period were an expansion in both sphere of activity (reflecting the post's elevated status)
and territorial jurisdiction (to include both Northern and Southern Rhodesia by 1938).
Elsewhere in southern Africa, a Polish Consular Agency was set up in Johannesburg in 1939, and in the same year an Honorary
Consulate was opened in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia. By February 1941, a Consulate General had been established in Pretoria
with Minister Plenipotentiary Dr. Stanis[UNK]law [UNK]Lepkowski as Consul General. In 1943, a Consular Agency at Durban attained
the status of Consulate, the Honorary Consulate at Salisbury became a Consulate General, and Consulates were opened in Lusaka,
Northern Rhodesia and Zomba, Nyasaland for the care of Polish war refugees transported to East Africa. Contacts were maintained
between the consular posts in South Africa and Polish government representations elsewhere in Africa, such as the Consulate
in Tananarive, Madagascar and ministry delegations in Nairobi, Kenya. Among the concerns of the posts in the Union of South
Africa were the transport and supervision of Polish war orphans settled at the Polish Children's Home in Oudtshoorn (see also
the collection Dom Polskich. Dzieci).
As a result of withdrawal of international recognition of the London Government, most consular offices of the Republic of
Poland were closed after the war. The Consulates in Durban and Cape Town and the Consulate General in Johannesburg ceased
to function on May 1, 1946, while the Consulate General in Pretoria closed on May 15 of that year.
The archives of the Polish Consulate in Cape Town were sent by Mr. Majewski to Dr. Lepkowski in Pretoria for storage on July
27, 1946. Both the Cape Town and Pretoria consular archives eventually came into the possession of Mr. Tadeusz Kawalec, a
former official of the Consulate in Cape Town, who donated them to the Hoover Institution in 1975.
(Sources: Palyga, Edward.
Stosunki konsularne Drugiej Rzeczypospolitej, Warszawa 1970 and
Rocznik sluzby zagranicznej Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej, Warszawa 1936 and 1938).