Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Davis Brothers Ledger No. 1, 1858-1868
Mss98  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.07 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Davis Brothers Ledger No. 1,
    Date (inclusive): 1858-1868
    Collection number: Mss98
    Creator:
    Extent: 0.25 linear ft.
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
    Stockton, CA 95211
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Davis Brothers Ledger No. 1, Mss98, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library

    Biography

    G.W. and E.W. Davis were, from the mid-1850s, proprietors of several small ranches and vineyards in Bennett Valley, five miles southeast of Santa Rosa. There they grew wine grapes, plums, citrus, nuts, grain and stock. Later in the century they also produced wines for which they were widely known. The Davis brothers seem to have operated a general store throughout the 1850s and 60s.
    Davis Bros. customers biographied in Sonoma county histories include G.S. Crane. Crane was the son of Richard Crane, who, with his brother Robert, settled land south of Santa Rosa on the Petaluma Hill Road in 1852. The Cranes raised stock there throughout the 19th century. Robert was later elected Sonoma county justice of the peace and county supervisor. In the present century the Crane family became famous for their Crane melon, which is still grown on the original family farm.
    Another Davis customer about whom something is known is Emmanuel Light. Light came to Santa Rosa in 1856, purchased one hundred acres and planted fruit trees. Ten years later, Light sold his land to various other ranchers--including G.W. Davis--and moved to Healdsburg. In 1868 his son, Eugene H., rented land from G.W. Davis and continued to farm in the area throughout the remainder of the century.

    Scope and Content

    This ledger gives evidence of both farming and commercial usage. It contains some reference to crops planted and produce sold, but it also consists of daybook records of sales to local farmers of such commodities as sugar, whiskey, tobacco, saleratus, and cheese.
    The Davis brothers began their daybook on May 27, 1858. Each page of this portion of the ledger provides the following information: date, nature of sale, the dollar amount of purchase, and how much the person has paid on their account.
    Below is a rough index of pages of accounts in the Davis Brothers' ledger; pages with specific names are those of accounts that occupy more than two pages.