Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Trinity Dredging Company Papers, 1909-1959
MS 156  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (65.62 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biography
  • Scope and Content

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Trinity Dredging Company Papers,
    Date (inclusive): 1909-1959
    Collection number: MS 156
    Creator: Trinity Dredging Company
    Extent: 19 boxes, maps, blueprints
    Repository: Meriam Library

    California State University, Chico
    Chico, California 95929-0295
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information


    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property .

    Preferred Citation

    [Name of Collection], Trinity Dredging Company Papers, MS 156, Special Collections, Meriam Library, California State University, Chico.


    The Trinity Dredging Company owned one dredge which was used to mine for gold on the Trinity River. In 1909, the Trinity Dredging Company was incorporated and Ed L. Smith managed the Company until his death in 1923. Management of the company was continued by his daughter, Mary E. Smith. After 1938 the Trinity Dredging Company ceased its mining operations. Income was generated from the rental of the dredge and the leasing of property until the Company dissolved in 1959.

    Scope and Content

    The collection contains bylaws of the corporation, minutes of meetings, lists of stockholders and correspondence with them. Also included are papers relating to land claims, company operations, financial information and reports, and business correspondence. Blueprints are for dredges designed by Ed Smith. Plat maps show the company's ditch lines, transmission lines and proposals for resorts on Trinity Reservoir.