Record Series 30 contains correspondence files of the chair of the Geography department dating from 1924-1984. Correspondence
pertains to the Geography Departments at the University of California campuses; the Institute of International and Foreign
Studies; the College of Letters and Science; and the Chancellor's Office.
Classes in Geography were offered when the Los Angeles State Normal School opened its doors in 1882. In 1985, the Geography
Department was formally established as an academic unit. Prior to 1919, when the Los Angeles State Normal School was incorporated
into the University of the California system, the Geography Department was primarily concerned with the training of secondary
school teachers. After 1920 more emphasis was placed on training of researcher and preparing students for graduate studies.
Graduate courses leading to the Masters of Art degree were to the department curriculum in 1934-1935; and the Doctoral program
was added in 1948-1949.
7 boxes (2.9 linear feet)
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
Open for research. STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library
Special Collections for paging information.