The records of the Rockport Redwood Company, a predecessor of the Georgia-Pacific Corporation and the Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, are a rich resource on the redwood lumber business from the early 1940s to the mid-1960s. The files contain correspondence,
reports, legal records of land transactions, surveys and property descriptions, financial records, articles, speeches, newsletters,
and other miscellaneous papers concerning the operating and business aspects of the company and the industry, as well as such
technical subjects such as reforestation, fertilization, growth studies, and thinning. The collection also contains documents
illuminating the early career of Louisiana-Pacific's President and Chairman of the Board, Harry A. Merlo, who was employed by the owners of Rockport Redwood Company from 1950 to 1967.
Rockport Redwood Company was one of many lumber interests owned by the business empire of Ralph M. Rounds of Wichita, Kansas. In 1937, he took a lease to operate, with option to buy, the Cottoneva Redwood Company, a California firm incorporated in 1933; it was renamed Rockport Redwood Company in 1941, when Rounds exercised the purchase
option. The operations consisted of a sawmill and townsite at Rockport, California, 200 miles north of San Francisco, and about 40,000 acres of timber lands nearby.
Number of containers: 19 cartons
Linear feet: 23.75
Copyright has been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must
be submitted in writing to the Head of the Manuscripts Division. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
The collection is open for use; folders 2-4, 34-1, and 34-2 restricted until 2038.