Berkeley Day Nursery records relate to the management and daily operation of the nursery school which served working mothers
in Berkeley, Albany, and Kensington, Calif. Records include correspondence, reports, articles of incorporation, by-laws, minutes,
enrollment statistics, financial materials, printed brochures, and clippings concerning the nursery.
The Berkeley Day Nursery, a non-profit corporation founded in 1908 by a group of Berkeley women, was a pioneer in nursery
care for the children of working class mothers. Subsidized by the city of Berkeley, the Berkeley Community Chest, and later,
the United Crusade, its operating funds were also derived from income on a small endowment, from gifts and bequests, and from
fees determined on a sliding scale by the parents' ablility to contribute. The nursery was managed by a Board of Directors
consisting of 24 women who were unpaid volunteers interested in community service. An executive director appointed by the
directors and small staff of employees were responsible for daily operation. The Berkeley Day Nursery functioned for many
years until increasingly strict state requirements for personnel and programs resulted in its closing in November 1965; the
corporation was dissolved on December 11, 1969.
Number of containers: 5 cartons, 2 boxes
Linear feet: 7.05
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.