Scope and Content of Collection
Title: Julia Margaret Cameron family papers
Date (inclusive): circa 1777-1940
Collection number: 850858
7 linear feet
Getty Research Institute
Special Collections and Visual Resources
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1688
Abstract: A collection of family correspondence and papers touching on the life of English photographer Julia Margaret Cameron (active
1860s-1870s), though derived from the estate of her son, Hardinge Hay Cameron, around whom much of the materials revolve.
They document the personal, legal, and financial aspects of the family through letters, journals, documents, photographs,
art work, and other materials.
Language: Collection material in English
Open for use by qualified researchers.
Julia Margaret Cameron family papers, circa 1777-1940, Getty Research Institute, Research Library, Accession no. 850858.
Acquired in 1985.
Julia Margaret Cameron was an English photographer whose work dated from 1864 to the 1870s; she was known especially for her
portraits. Born and raised in India, she continued to live in Calcutta after her marriage in 1838 to the jurist Charles Hay
Cameron; from 1846-1875 they lived in England, and then in Sri Lanka (Ceylon) until their deaths. Their son, Hardinge Hay
Cameron, was private secrtary to Sir William Gregory, governor of Ceylon from 1872-77. He married Catherine Macintosh Macleod
(known as Kitty) in 1879 or 1880, and later married Adeline Blake, daughter of George Pilkington Blake. Another son, Henry
Herschel Hay Cameron, was also a photographer.
Scope and Content of Collection
The collection consists primarily of correspondence and personal papers, with some family photographs, and original watercolors
and drawings. The material derives from the estate of Hardinge Hay Cameron, and the bulk of it concerns Hardinge Hay Cameron,
his wives, and their families. The papers provide a glimpse of Julia Margaret Cameron's intellectual and artistic milieu,
document her relationships with her husband and children, and present a view of late 19th and early 20th century British colonial
life in Ceylon.
Note on initials used in the collection
Many figures are referred to in the box list by their initials. The following list provides the full names of individuals,
their identity, and nicknames used within the correspondence:
- C. H. Cameron
- Charles Hay Cameron, husband of J. M. Cameron
- J. M. Cameron
- Julia Margaret Pattle Cameron
- Julia Hay Cameron
- Julia Hay Cameron Norman, oldest daughter of J. M. & C. H. Cameron, wife of Charles Norman
- J. F. W. Herschel
- John Frederick William Herschel, Sir, friend of J. M. and C. H. Cameron
- M. B. Herschel
- Margaret Brodie Stewart Herschel, Lady, wife of J. F. W. Herschel
- H. H. Cameron
- Hardinge Hay Cameron, son of J. M. and C. H. Cameron, "Har"
- Kitty Macleod
- Catherine Anne Macintosh Macleod Cameron, first wife of H. H. Cameron
- A. A. Cameron
- Adeline A. Blake Cameron, second wife of H. H. Cameron, "Hoodie"
- H. H. H. Cameron
- Henry Herschel Hay Cameron, youngest son of J. M. and C. H. Cameron, " Punch"
- E. W. H. Cameron
- Ewen Wrottesly [?] Hay Cameron, son of J. M. & C. H. Cameron
- A. E. Cameron
- Annie E. Chinery Cameron, wife of E. W. H. Cameron, "Topsy"
- H. A. L. Fisher
- Herbert Albert Laurens, husband of Mary Jackson Fisher
- W. H. Gregory
- William H. Gregory, Sir, governor of Ceylon 1872-77
- Ellen Ottingham
- J. M. Cameron's maid and photographic assistant, "Little E"
- C. A. Macleod
- Catherine Anne Macintosh Macleod, mother of Kitty and Annie C. Macleod
- Annie C. Macleod
- Annie Catherine Macleod Wilson, sister of Kitty Macleod
- Norman Macleod
- Father of Kitty Macleod, well-known Scottish reverend
- William, Polly, Jessie, Affie, Jean and Elsie Macleod
- Siblings of Kitty Macleod
- C. Blake
- Grandmother of Adeline Cameron
- A. A. Blake
- Mother of Adeline Cameron, wife of George Pilkington Blake
- G. P. Blake
- George Pilkington Blake, father of Adeline Cameron
- Geraldine Thomas
- Geraldine Blake Thomas, sister of Adeline Cameron, wife of E. H. L. Thomas
- E. H. L. Thomas
- Husband of Geraldine Thomas, "Ted"
- E. M. King King
- Eliza Margaret King King, "Lizzie"
- M. C. King King
- Mary Cochrane King King, "Molly"
- Frank Hadden
- Brother-in-law of E. H. L. Thomas
- Jack Hadden
- Nephew of E. H. L. Thomas, son of Frank Hadden
- Mary Hadden
- Sister of E. H. L. Thomas, wife of Frank Hadden?
- Helen Thomas
- Sister of E. H. L. Thomas
- J. H. Thomas
- Jocelyn? H. Thomas
Blake, George Pilkington—Portraits
Cameron, Adeline A. Blake—Portraits
Cameron, Hardinge Hay, 1846-1911—Portraits
Cameron, Julia Margaret Pattle, 1815-1879—Family
King King family
Sri Lanka—Social life and customs
Genres and Forms of Material
Cameron, Adeline A. Blake
Cameron, C. H. (Charles Hay), 1795-1880
Cameron, Hardinge Hay, 1846-1911
Cameron, Henry Herschel Hay, 1852-1911
Cameron, Julia Margaret Pattle, 1815-1879
Cameron, Kitty Macleod
Herschel, John F. W. (John Frederick William), Sir, 1792-1871
Taylor, Henry, Sir, 1800-1886