Scope and Content
Title: David D. Boyden Papers,
Date (inclusive): 1922-1986
Collection number: ARCHIVES BOYDEN 1
Boyden, David Dodge, 1910-
Extent: Number of containers: 36 boxes
Linear feet: 39
Berkeley, California 94720-6000
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research, with the following exception:
Box 31 closed until Jan. 1, 2012.
Copyright has not been assigned to The Music Library. All requests for permission to
publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of the Music
Library. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Music Library as the owner
of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], David D. Boyden papers, ARCHIVES BOYDEN 1, The Music Library,
University of California, Berkeley.
David Dodge Boyden (b. Westport, CT, 10 Dec 1910; d. Berkeley, CA, 18 Sep 1986). American
musicologist. He studied at Harvard (BA 1932, MA 1938) and at Columbia Universities, and
the Hartt School of Music in Connecticut. From 1938 to 1975, he taught at the University
of California, Berkeley, where he became a full professor in 1955; he served as chairman
of the music department from 1955 to 1961. His publications include the widely-read
An Introduction to Music (1956, 1970, rev.), but the main thrust of his
research had been on the history of string instruments and playing. His
Violin Playing from its Origins to 1761
(1965) is a major work of scholarship. In
1957 he was awarded an honorary doctorate by the Hartt School of Music. He had been twice
vice-president of the American Musicological Society (1954-56, 1960-62), a Fullbright
Fellow at Oxford University (1963), and three times recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship
(1954, 1967, and 1970).
New Grove Dictionary of American
Scope and Content
This collection contains correspondence, slides, photographs, microfilms, cassette and
reel-to-reel tapes, other papers, and memorabilia.
The musical instruments in paintings section was acquired in the late 1970s from David
Boyden, probably at the time of his retirement. The bulk of the collection, approximately
29 archival cartons, was given by Boyden's widow, Ruth, in 1988. This gift included
research and administrative files, and correspondence. The third part of the gift was
given to us by Boyden's sons, Richard and Tom. This is the smallest of the collection,
consisting of private correspondence, other papers and memorabilia.
The first part of the gift was sent to storage in 1987 and the second part in November,
1988. The materials were not processed and they were kept in their original folders. At
the time of the second gift, Boyden's papers had been partially boxed and files had been
shifted from the cabinets so that the original order of the files could not be
established. However, there were some logical sequence of topics because the labelled
file dividers were still intact. The then-archivist made a complete review of additional
files, papers, photographs, and documents in Boyden's study in his Maybeck house (1208
Shattuck Ave.). An additional two cartons of papers were acquired by John Emerson and
they were incorporated into the collection.
The bulk of the microfilm collection of David Boyden has been in the library's custody
since before 1980. Most of these microfilms were incorporated into the Music Library's
The last part of the gift was given to the Music Library in 1992 after Ruth Boyden's
death. Richard and Tom Boyden also funded the processing of the collection.
The collection, as it stands now, has retained whatever order the papers were left in in
1988. All materials have been refoldered, retaining David Boyden's original folder
titles. Legal-sized papers were pulled out and stored in Boxes 4 and 17, noting the
original location. Similarly, oversized materials were pulled out and kept in Boxes 29