Letters from members addressed to the secretary; minutes of meetings, 1873-1960; by-laws, names of members, etc.; copies of
papers read at meetings.
The Berkeley Club had its origin in a dinner meeting held January 13, 1873 at the home of Daniel C. Gilman, president of the University of California, with Henry Durant, Martin Kellogg and Dr. J. K. McLean present. The purpose was to consider the formation of a club to discuss literary, social and scientific questions. There was
further discussion of the proposal at another dinner meeting on February 6, which Joseph LeConte, George Mooar and Joseph A. Benton also attended. At the meeting, the name Berkeley Club was adopted, and the first formal meeting was held on February 13 with
fifteen charter members present. At each successive meeting, held fortnightly, a paper was presented by a member previously
appointed, followed by a discussion in which all participated. The range of discussion was great, reflecting the varied backgrounds
of the members, most of whom were professors, clergymen, lawyers and businessmen. The Club continued in existence for eighty-eight
years, the last meeting held September 8, 1960.
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.