Material Transferred from the Collection
Title: Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.), Alturas Lodge No. 80,
Date (inclusive): 1858-1986
Box Number: 2030 - 2033
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Alturas Lodge No. 80 (La Porte, Calif.)
California State Library
Conditions of Use
Please credit California State Library.
Copyright has not been assigned to California State Library. All requests for permission
to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing. Permission for
publication is given on behalf of California State Library as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.), Alturas Lodge No.
80, California State Library.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows--California--History.
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Alturas Lodge No. 80.--
La Porte (Calif.)--Social Life and customs--History.
Justice, Administration of--California--Plumas County--History.
Lodge records, 1858-1921: correspondence; I.O.O.F. publications; financial records;
annual relief reports listing lodge members; trustees' and treasurers' bonds; committee
reports; by-laws and amendments; resolutions, including condolences on the assassination
of Abraham Lincoln; 2 gavels; regalia. Proceedings from trials provide an interesting
glimpse at lodge justice. Also contains miscellaneous notes and documents (1885-1986)
about Plumas County.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a fraternal society, was introduced to America by
Englishman Thomas Wildey in 1819. The Order was established in San Francisco, Calif. in
1849, and Alturas Lodge was established December 8, 1858 in La Porte, Plumas County. The
Lodge served not only as a social and relief organization, but also provided an avenue
for justice. Charges of unbecoming conduct brought against a member by an individual or
by the lodge were tried by a committee. Sustained charges could mean expulsion and the
loss of relief benefits.
- Pilot Peak Lodge No. 91 (Gibsonville, Sierra County, Calif.)
- Table Rock Lodge No. 49 (St. Louis, Sierra County, Calif.)
- Alturas Lodge, No 60
- Aldridge, Samuel
- Barnes, R.M.
- Blue Range Encampment, No. 8 (Downieville, Calif.)
- Brownsville Lodge, No. 283 (Brownsville, Calif.)
- Brueck, Karl --See: Grand Master, Grand Lodge of California
- Burton, C.O. --See: Grand Master, Grand Lodge of California
- Byrne, W[illia]m S.
- California. State Board of Health
- Case, B.F.
- Coates, G.L., M.D.
- Committee on Celebration of '91 (Gibsonville, Mich.)
- Committee on Hotel Accommodations
- Crew, A.H.
- Daughters, Ja[me]s. M. --See also: District Deputy Grand Master, District 17
- District Deputy Grand Master, District 17, Grand Lodge of California
- Drake, H.G.O.
- Evans, John
- Folsom, F.N., M.D.
- Grand Master, Grand Lodge of California
- Grand Secretary, Grand Lodge of California
- Grass Valley Lodge, No. 12
- Greenville Lodge, No. 252 (Greenville, Calif.)
- Hall, J.N.
- Hill, William H. --See: Grand Master, Grand Lodge of California
- Holland, Homer B.
- Hossack, David
- Indian Valley Lodge, No. 136 (Taylorsville, Calif.)
- Jefferson Lodge, No. 97, F & A Masons
- Johnson, T. Rodgers --See: Grand Secretary, Grand Lodge of California
- Jones, Th[om]as F.
- Jubilee Celebration Committee
- Kleckner, Amandes
- Korsher, James H.
- Lakawana Lodge, No. 291 (Scranton, Pa.[?])
- Long, W.G. --See: District Deputy Grand Master, District 17
- Lord, F.K., Dr.
- McClain, J.W.
- McClelland, J.A. --See: Grand Master, Grand Lodge of California
- McMath, C.
- Mussey, J.M., Physician
- Nickajak Lodge, No. 89 (Smyrna, Ga)
- Norcross, Daniel
- Odd Fellows Home of California
- Office Appeal Association
- Olive Branch Encampment, No. 9 (St. Louis, Calif.)
- Oriental Lodge, No. 45 (Marysville, Calif.)
- Oroville Lodge, No. 59
- Painter, George
- Parade Committee, Sovereign Grand Lodge (San Francisco, Calif.)
- Pine Grove Committee
- Polar Star Lodge, No. 56 (Indian Diggings, Calif.)
- Rinehart, M., M.D.
- Rosenberg, J.
- Rupell, S.S.
- Russell, S.S. --See: Deputy District Grand Master
- Shaw, Geo. S. --See: Grand Secretary, Grand Lodge of California
- Sierra Lodge, No 24 (Downieville)
- Spoon, George E.
- Stockton Lodge
- Summit Lodge, No. 127 (Howland Flat)
- Walls, G.K. --See District Deputy Grand Master, District 17, Grand Lodge of California
- Walton, G.H. --See: Lakawana Lodge.
- Washington, H.
- Washington Lodge, No. 40 (Yankee Jim's?, Calif.)
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- Wendel, A.
- West, J.C.
- Wheeler, Marcellus E. (Box 2031 )
- Willard, E.L.
- Willard, E.X., M.D.
- Williams, John
- Yuba and Oriental Lodges, Joint Committee
Antone Arbucco correspondence
- Leach, A.M.
- Twogoode, G.S.W., Postmaster (Clipper Mills, Butte County)
Material Transferred from the Collection
- Golden Gate Co.
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Alturas Lodge, No. 80.
Ledger, 1865 -ca 1918.
[Minutes], 1865 -1866.
Order Book, Nov. 1893.
Records, Jan. 23, 1864 -Oct. 2, 1869.
Records, Oct. 16, 1869 -April 23, 1887.
- Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Pilot Peak Lodge, No. 91.
Black Book, 1863.
- Spencer, Annie.
Ledger, 1901 -1909.
- Spencer, William.
Notarial Record, Dec. 27, 1909.
- [50th Anniversary] Proclamation, I.O.O.F. Office of the N.W. Grand Master of the RW Grand Lodge of the State of California.
- [65th Anniversary] Proclamation, Feb. 9, 1884, Sovereign Grand Lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Office of the
IOOF, Grand Lodge of California: SMC, Box 911 (unprocessed).