Guide to the Colt Press Records, 1920-1973
Guide to the Colt Press Records, 1920-1973
Collection number: M0240Department of Special Collections and University Archives
Stanford University Libraries
- Department of Special Collections
- Green Library
- Stanford University Libraries
- Stanford, CA 94305-6004
- Phone: (650) 725-1022
- Email: email@example.com
- URL: http://library.stanford.edu/spc
- Processed by:
- Special Collections staff
- Date Completed:
- 1974 Feb.
- 1. Booklet: From Mumbo Jumbo and her Nephew to Paul Maul - Dools from the Barstools. Jumbo Press.
- 2. Advertisement for A Guide and Handbook for Amateurs of Printing. Jumbo Press (two).
- 3. Booklet: Frederic W. Goudy - a Confidential Interview. Jumbo Press.
- 4. Booklet: Reverting to Type by Jane Grabhorn. Red Tower Press.
- 5. Five loose pages - Reverting to Type.
- 6. A Typographic Discourse for the Distaff Side of Printing, a Book by Ladies. Jumbo Press, 1937. 12 loose pages
- 7. Advertisement - Jumbo Press
- 8. Birth Announcement -
- 9. Proof with draft of illumination
- 10. 2×3 printed note re: recital given at Miss Leila's
- 11. A Typographic Solecism
- 12. Printed invitation to Harold Seeger's birthday -
Date: May 9, 1939
- 13. Acrolades From the Press
- 14. An Evening with Fred Goudy. Invitation to a dinner honoring Goudy -
Date: June 10, 1940
- 1. Printed birthday greetings printed by Jumbo Press to Frederic Goudy
- 2. Fragment of a printed story about Goudy
- 3. A Guide & Handbook for Amateurs of Printing. Jumbo Press -
- 4. Printed poem with illustration of a cat
- 5. Coverslip- Keepsake 1938 - Pilgrimage to Deepdene
- 6. Guest Book - cover - for the marriage of Marie Louise & Jackson Burke -
- 1. Fragment by William Saroyan - printed by Jumbo Press for Albert M. Bender
- 2. An Fragment Unpublished by the Jumbo Press - manuscript of printed material inserted.
- 3. Individuality by M. Landi. Printed by Jane & Robert Grabhorn,
- 4. Show bill -
Date: 1937,Diana Dane, performing - announcement of date and location of performance
- 5. Swing Low Sweet Sherwood (two)
- 6. Block print - series of elephant figures - symbol of Jumbo Press
- 7. Melissa Wilson's a wearin' the Green Sleeves,
Date: March 17, 1945
- 8. Block print - Jumbo Press
- 9. Printed letter - Martha Jane to Mother
- 10. Printed broadside entitled Oh Dearly Beloved
- 11. Printed Broadside - And So...
- 12. Uncut pages of A Typographic Discourse (6 pages)
- 1. Specimen Pages -
The Colussus of Maroussi, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co., New York,
- 2. Specimen Page -
The Pragmatic Test, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co., New York,
- 3. Specimen Page -
Yvor Winters, H. Wolff Book Manufacturing Co. New York,
- 4. Publication announcement -
The Letters of Frank Norris,
- 5. Advertisement - Announcement of new books from Colt Press
- 6. Booklet - Life & Hard Times or Sherwood Grover's 25 Years with the Grabhorn Press,
- 7. Chapter fragment - Chapter 1 - Conversation between Nynheer and Horatio (2 pages)
- 8. Colt Forty-Five,
- 9. Birthday greetings to Robert Grabhorn,
Date: May 7, 1970
- 10. Invitation to a dinner honoring Albert Sperisen,
- 11. Announcement of birthday celebration for Robert Grabhorn's 36th birthday - in French
- 12. Five proofs - with illuminations
- 13. Printed invitation from Dr. & Mrs. A.W. Ward
- 14. Invitation to a Christmas Gathering
- 15. Printed Poem - Lullabye, signed Marie Louise Burke,
Date: Sept. 15, 1939
- 16. Poem - With no Raison d'Etre but Instead of a Lettre
Date: March 4, 1952
- 17. Broadside of a poem - no title - 1st line - Who's that lying in the middle of the floor...
- 18. Jan the Dutch Barge Dog by Victoria Bissell,
- 19. Happy New Year Greetings -
- 20. Printed poem by Johathan Swift - greeting card from Jane & Robert Grabhorn
- 21. Easter greeting card
- 22. Negroes of America by Tommy Bransten
- 1. Revolt of a Tired Typesetter, Grabhorn Press,
- 2. The Brothers the Mothers by Jane Grabhorn, Grace Hoper Press,
- 3. Booklet: description of books printed in
Date: 1940and the possibilities forDate: 1941
- 4. The Colt Springs High for
Date: 1940,description of books in print and for sale.
- 5. A Checklist of Colt Press Books, list of books printed during
- 6. Colt Press First Anniversary
Date: 1939,description of books in print and out of print
- 7. Printed note to customers re: progress of the Press
- 8. Book Order Forms - Colt Press (6)
- 9. Address mailing slips (4)
- 10. List of Colt Press books for sale
- 11. The Terry-Broderick Duel by Carroll Douglas Hall Advertisement introducing the above book to Colt Press patrons
- 12. Announcement of publication of California- Spanish Proverbs collected and translated by Mildred Yorba Macarthur.
- 13. Proofs for the Colt Press Epicure Series
- 14. Announcement of an exhibition of typographical work of Jane Grabhorn
- 15. Announcement of exhibition of Colt Press Books
- 16. Advertisement for Maurizius Forever by Henry Miller
- 17. Colt Press newsletter - August 1941, two inserts - loose
- 18. Advertisements for The Colussus of Maroussi by Henry Miller (two)
- 19. Colt Press Newsletter
Date: Dec. 1941
- 20. Advertisement for Lala Montez by Oscar Lewis
- 21. Invitation to an exhibit re: Jane Grabhorn & the Colt Press presented by American Institute of Graphic Arts
- 1. Broadside: announcement of exhibit of Jumbo & Colt Press books -
Date: April 7, 1956
- 2. Broadside: Christmas Gifts for Lovers - list of various Colt Press books for sale -
- 3. Book covers: 1. The Colussus of Maroussi, 2. Omai, 3. The Wife of Martin Guerre, 4. The Boys in the Back Room, 5. Note Books of Night
- 4. Legal agreement between Colt Press and George Ezra Dave re: subscription to all books issued by the Press
- 5. Announcement of an exhibit & sale of drawings by Otis Oldfield for Colt Press publication of McTeague
- 6. Title page for the book McTeague by Frank Norris
- 7. List of books in print and to be printed by the Colt Press
- 8. Books for Spring from the Colt Press (two)
- 9. Proof for the pamphlet entitled Colt Press First Anniversary
- 10. Broadside: Agreement between Colt Press and George Eckhardt entitling Eckhardt to one volume of every book printed by
Colt Press, signed Jane Grabhorn,
Date: Sept. 22, 1967
- 1. Proof for cover of The Gold Rush Song Book
- 2. Concerning a Cat - Letters from my Nephew
- 3. Broadside: Songs of the Grabhorn Press - The Ballad of Robert O'Grabhorn
- 4. Broadside: Travel Tips: from Highly - Seasoned Old Traveler Jane Grabhorn to Ruth Woods,
Date: June 20, 1955
- 5. Broadside: Go Go Go!
- 6. Broadside: story about Harold Seeger in celebration of his 43rd birthday,
- 7. Birthday greeting to Robert Grabhorn from Jane Grabhorn for his 68th birthday entitled Once Again into the Breeches
- 8. Broadside: printed by Jane Grabhorn for Albert M. Bender,
Date: 1939,poetry re: St. Patrick
- 9. Proof sheet for the title page of
- 10. Broadside: Individuality by M. Landi printed by Jane & Robert Grabhorn,
- 11. Broadside: invitation to a party at the Grabhorn Press
- 12. Broadside: invitation to celebration of R. Grabhorn's 46th birthday,
- 13. Broadside: A Valentine for Jane
- 14. Broadside: Ode to a Returning Voyager, Florence Walter,
Date: Nov. 2, 1957
- 15. Broadside: 1st line - Paul, oh Paul, why do you sell hides?
- 16. Broadside: birthday greeting to Bill on his 56th birthday
- 17. Broadside: The Whorscope of Sherwood Bissell Grover
- 18. Broadside: Mama to Papa
- 19. Broadside: Superwoman Lil
- 20. Broadside: O Bill dear Bill
- 21. Broadside: Printed for Margie Pratt by Jane Grabhorn
- 22. Broadside: birthday greeting to Bill for his 60th birthday,
Date: Jan. 7, 1970
- 23. Broadside: birthday greeting to Robert Grabhorn for his 50th birthday,
Date: May 17, 1950
- 24. Broadside: The City
- 25. Broadside: get well card addressed to David from [Jane & Robert] Grabhorn
- 26. Broadside: A tooth for a tooth
- 27. Broadside: Friday 13
- 28. Broadside: Thanksgiving message for
Date: Nov. 27, 1970
- 29. Broadside: To My Friends
- 1. Poster re: the book Omai, First Polynesian Ambassador to England
- 2. Poster re: the book Garden Date
- 3. Poster re: the book The Epicure in Hawaii
- 4. Photostat of reviews
- 5. Broadside re: the book The Colussus of Maroussi
- 6. Broadside: Pilgrimage to Rampart
- 7. Broadsides: Wedding Book - Carol Walter, Henry Sinton -
- 8. Broadside: Birthday Boy Breaks Bookies - Grabhorn Scores Fifty-Five
- 9. Broadside: La Tosca bar sinister
- 10. Broadside: Fellow Hamburghers
- 11. Broadside: birthday greeting for Robert Grabhorn,
- 12. Broadside: Who was that lady I seen you with?
- 13. Go Grover Go!, salute to Sherwood P. Grover,
- 14. Pencil sketches of Robert Grabhorn (2)
- 1. Grabhorn, Jane.
Robert Arlie Grabhorn, a Portrait, Jumbo Press,
Date: May 17, 1938
- 2. Montagu, George - Earl of Sandwich.
The Bridle-Way Elkin Mathews Limited, London,
- 3. Montague, George - Earl of Sandwich.
In a Green Shade, Elkin Mathews & Marrot, Ltd., London,
- 4. Montague, George - Earl of Sandwich.
Windows, same as above,
The Epicure in Hawaii, Honolulu Star - Bulletin, Hawaii, Colt Press,
1941, Feb. 25.Princeton, New Jersey. Adler to [Jane] Grabhorn.
1. 1969, June 11.Bronxville, N.Y. Vale[nti] [Angelo] to Jane [Grabhorn].
2. Three drawings by Angelo - suggested colophons for the Jumbo Press.
BENNETT, PAUL A.
1. 1937, July 7.Brooklyn, N.Y. Bennett to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
2. 1937, Nov. 10.Brooklyn, N.Y. Paul [A. Bennett] to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
3. 1937, Nov. 22.Brooklyn, N.Y. Paul [A. Bennett] to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
4. 1938, Feb. 15.Brooklyn, N.Y. Paul [A. Bennett] to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
5. 1938, March 22.Brooklyn, N.Y. Paul [A. Bennet] to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
1. 1937, Nov. 19.Berkeley, Ca. W. B[entley] to [Jane Grabhorn] re: typography.
2. 1938, Feb. 16.Berkeley, Ca. W.B. to J.G. re: typography.
3. 1939, July 21.Berkeley, Ca. Wilder [Bentley] to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
CARY, MELBERT B., JR. (The Press of Woolly Whale)
1. 1937, July 9.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
2. 1937, Sept. 9.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn re: publishing matters.
3. 1937, Oct. 7.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn.
4. 1937, Oct. 22.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn.
5. 1938, July 7.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn.
6. 1939, Oct. 25.New York. Cary to Jane Grabhorn.
7. 1940, April 22.New York. Cary to Robert Grabhorn.
CERF, BENNETT A. (Random House, Inc.)
1. 1939, Oct. 2.New York. Bennett to Jane Grabhorn.
EMMONS, EARL H.
1. 1938, May 9.New York. Emmons to Jumbo re: tribute to Frederic Goudy.
2. 1938, May 10.New York. Emmons to Jumbo re: tribute to Frederic Goudy.
3. 1938, May 26.New York. Emmons to Jumbo re: tribute to Frederic Goudy.
EVERSON, WILLIAM (BROTHER ANTONINUS)
1. 1949, [Mar. 25].Berkeley, Ca. Bill [Everson] to Jane [Grabhorn].
2. 1952, Jan. 10.Oakland, Ca. Brother Antonius to Jane [Grabhorn].
3. 1952, Jan. 27.Oakland, Ca. Brother Antonius to Jane [Grabhorn].
4. ND.Berkeley, Ca. Bill [Everson] to Jane [Grabhorn].
1. ,Sunday. Pittsburgh, Pensylvania. Garnett to Martha Jane [Grabhorn] re: Grabhorn Press.
2. 1937, June 38.Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Garnett to Spoofer re: printing.
3. 1947,Tuesday. NP. Garnett to Bob [Grabhorn] re: typography.
4. 1948, Sept. 4.NP. Porter to Clink re: writing.
5. 1950, Mar. 17.NP. Porter Garnett to Carl Rollins re: typography.
6. 1950, April 12.Calistoga, Ca. Porter a Edna to Jane [Grabhorn].
7. 1950, April 12.Calistoga, Ca. Porter to Jane [Grabhorn].
8. 1950, May 25.NP. Porter and Edna to Jane [Grabhorn]. re: typography (proper usuage of appostrophe and forms of words).
9. 1950, Sept. 4.Calistoga, Ca. Porter to Carl Rollins re: typography.
10. 1950-51, Dec., Jan.NP. [Porter] to __________(?).
11. ND., Saturday. NP. Porter to Jane [Grabhorn].
: 1. ND., March 27.Marlboro, [N.Y.]. Goudy to Colt Press.
2. ND., April 29.Marlboro, [N.Y.]. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
3. ND., May 9.Marlboro, [N.Y.]. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
4. ND., June 10.Marlboro, N.Y. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn].
5. ND., Oct. 24.Marlboro, [N.Y.]. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn]. re: typography.
6. ND., Nov. 29.Marlboro, N.Y. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
7. 1941, Jan. 15.Marlboro, [N.Y.]. Goudy to Jane [Grabhorn].
8. Page of drawings of possible monograms for Jane Grabhorn.
1. 1935, June 21.Taos, New Mexico. Robinson Jeffers to Jane Grabhorn.
1. 1942, June 23.Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Weldon Kees to Bill Roth re: typography.
KNOPF, MRS. ALFRED A. (BLANCHE)
1. 1952, Oct. 1.New York. Mrs. Alfred A. Knopf to [Jane] Grabhorn.
1. [Harton], Virginia [Rogers] to [Henry Miller] re: Colussus... 1941, Nov. 6.Chicago, Ill.
2. 1941, Nov. 22.Brooklyn, N.Y. Helen Pope to Politis re: Colossus...
3. 1941, Nov. 25.Washington, [D.C.]. Corinne(?) P_____(?) to Miller re: Colussus...
4. 1941, Nov. 28.New York, N.Y. Carlo Van Vechten to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus...
5. 1941, Nov. 29.New York, N.Y. M.J. Politis to [William] Roth re: Colussus...
6. 1941, Dec. 2.Hollywood, Ca. Hilaire _____(?) to Henry [Miller]. re: Colussus..
7. 1941, Dec. 8.New York, N.Y. D_____(?) to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus.... ALS.
8. 1941, Dec. 9.New York, N.Y. Rosalind Constable to [Henry] Miller re: the book Colussus...
9. 1941, Dec. 16.Altadena, Ca. Robert Swasey to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus...
10. 1941, Dec. 31.New London, Conn. John Rogers Shuman (United States Coast Guard Academy) to Henry Miller re: Colussus. and Shuman's book White Landscape.
11. 1942, Jan. 9.Hanover, New Hampshire. Herbert F. West to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus...
12. 1944, Jan. 9.NP. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
13. 1945, July 11.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn] re: prospective books.
14. 1945, Aug. 17.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn] re: Maurizius book.
15. 1945, Aug. 18.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
16. 1945, Aug. 23.Book dedication to Keith and Virginia Evans. (typed).
17. 1945, Nov. 11.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
18. 1946, Feb. 29.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn] re: Maurizius book.
19. 1948, May 5.[Big Sur, Ca.]. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
20. ND., Nov. 25.NP. Joe Sadon to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus... ALS.
21. ND.New Iberia, Louisiana. Hall Weeks to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus...
22. ND.[New Iberia, Louisiana]. [Hall Weeks] to Smitty re: Colussus...
23. ND ,Saturday. Chicago, ILL. [Eleanor Howard] to Henry [Miller] re: Colussus... AL.
24. ND.NP. Bessie [Brener] to Henry [Miller] re: the book The Colussus of Maroussi.
25. ND., Monday.Big Sur, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
26. ND., Thursday.[Big Sur, Ca.]. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn].
27. ND., July 9.Hollywood, Ca. Henry Miller to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
28. Typescript of part of Air Conditioned Nightmare.
29. Typescript - Autobiographical Note by Henry Miller.
30. 1945, Oct.Agreement between Henry Miller and Colt Press concerning the book Maurizius Forever.
31. Printed autobiography by Henry Miller - An Autobiographical Note.
32. 21 photos, sketches and watercolors by Miller.
1. 1937, Sept. 18.Buffalo, N.Y. Will Ransom to [Jane] Grabhorn.
2. 1937, Oct. 31.Buffalo, N.Y. Will Ransom to Jane Grabhorn.
3. 1938, Jan. 29.Buffalo, N.Y. Will Ransom to Jane Grabhorn.
4. 1938, Feb. 23.Buffalo, N.Y. Will Ransom to Jane Grabhorn. TLS.
ROLLINS, CARL PURINGTON (YALE UNIVERSITY PRESS)
1. 1937, Sept. 10.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane Grabhorn.
2. 1938, June 10.NP. Rollins to Jane Grabhorn.
3. 1938, Nov. 30.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane Grabhorn.
4. 1940, Oct. 6.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane [Grabhorn].
5. 1941, Mar. 1.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane Grabhorn.
6. 1941, Apr. 2.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane Grabhorn.
7. 1942, Feb. 2.New Haven, Conn. Rollins to Jane [Grabhorn] re: the book McTEAGUE, typography.
8. ND.NP. Rollins to Jumbo ([Jane Grabhorn]).
1. 1943, May 19.NP. Louise Stivers to Wm. Roth. TL.
2. 1944, Aug. 21.NP. [S.F., Ca.]. Louise Stivers to Wm. Roth. TL.
3. 1944, Aug. 21.NP. [S.F., Ca.]. Louise Stivers to Wm. Rothe re: Colt Press accounts receivable - encl. 10pp. TL.
4. Agreement: 1943, Oct. 1,between Jane Grabhorn & Wm. Roth.
1. 1938, Jan 23.San Francisco, Ca. Saroyan to Jane [Grabhorn] re: typography.
2. 1938, Jan 26.San Francisco, Ca. Saroyan to Jane [Grabhorn] re: poetry, possibility of publishing other literary pieces.
3. 1939, Feb. 10.San Francisco, Ca. Saroyan to Jane Grabhorn re: typography.
4. 1947, June 9.San Francisco, Ca. Saroyan to Jane and Bob [Grabhorn]. PCS
5. 1947, June 19.San Francisco, Ca. Saroyan to Jane [Grabhorn]. PCS.
6. 1963, Nov. 18.Paris, France. Saroyan to [Jane] Grabhorn re: various literary projects.
7. Draft of title page and contents page for a compilation of short plays by Saroyan.
SCHAD, ROBERT O. (ROUNCE & COFFIN CLUB)
1. 1940, March 7.Los Angeles, Ca.(?). Schad to Colt Press re: use of Colt Press books in Western Books exhibit.
1. ND.Los Gatos, Ca. Steinbeck to Jane [Grabhorn].
2. ND. Los Gatos, Ca. Steinbeck to Jane Grabhorn. ALS.
STEVENSON, GOVERNOR ADLAI
1. 1954, Dec. 27.Chicago, Ill. Stevenson to Mr. & Mrs. Grabhorn.
2. 1956, Dec. 8.Chicago, Ill. Stevenson to Grabhorn Press.
3. 1958, Mar. 11.Chicago, Ill. Stevenson to Mr. & Mrs. Robert Grabhorn.
4. 1958, April 10.Chicago, Ill. Stevenson to Jane Grabhorn.
5. 1958, June 13.Chicago, Ill. Stevenson to Mr. & Mrs. Robert Grabhorn. TLS with typed cover note: Carol Evans, Secretary to Gov. Stevenson, to Mr. & Mrs. Grabhorn.
TINKER, EDWARD LAROCQUE
1. 1940, June 28.New York, N.Y. Tinker to [Jane] Grabhorn.
2. ND.,Friday. New York. Tinker to [Jane Grabhorn].
3. ND.,Saturday. [New York]. Tinker to [Jane Grabhorn].
1. 1941, March 17.San Marino, Ca. H.R. Wagner to Jane Grabhorn.
2. ND., Jan. 10. San Marino, Ca. Wagner to Jane [Grabhorn].
1. 1939, Oct. 14.San Diego, Ca. Walker to Jane Grabhorn re: prospects of a book about Bierce.
2. 1940, Mar. 30.San Diego, Ca. Walker to Jane Grabhorn re: book about Bierce.
3. 1940, Sept. 27.Eugene, Oregon. Walker to Jane [Grabhorn].
4. 1941, April 3.Eugene, Oregon. Walker to Jane Grabhorn re: publication of book about Bierce.
5. 1941, April 12.Eugene, Oregon. Walker to Jane [Grabhorn] re: Bierce book.
1. 1962, July 8.S.F., Ca. Warde to Jane Grabhorn.
2. 1965, June 28.Chicago, Ill. Warde to Jane [Grabhorn].
1. 1943, May 24.Wellfleet, Mass. Wilson to [Jane] Grabhorn.
2. 1946, July 29.Wellfleet, Mass. Wilson to [Jane] Grabhorn.
3. 1946, Dec. 1.Minden, Nevada. Wilson to [Jane] Grabhorn.
4. 1948, April 21.Wellfleet, Mass. Wilson to [Jane] Grabhorn re: publishing of Wilson's book.
5. 1949, July 8.Wellfleet, Mass. Wilson to [Jane] Grabhorn re: publishing of Wilson's material.
WINTERS, JANET LEWIS
1. 1943, Feb. 24.Los Altos, Ca. Winters to Jane Grabhorn re: writing.
2. 1946, July 23.Los Altos, Ca. Winters to Jane [Grabhorn] re: finances.
1. AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF GRAPHICS ARTS: 1. 1937, Nov. 4.New York, N.Y. Ruth S. Grammiss(?) to [Jane] Grabhorn.
2. 1942, Nov. 18.New York, N.Y. Executive Secretary (name illegible) to [Jane] Grabhorn.
2. CARPENTER PAPER CO: 1. 1942, Feb. 18.S.F., Ca. W.R. Osburn Jr. (Credit Manager) to Colt Press.
3. CASTRO, DANIEL F: 1. 1945, Sept. 25.Berkeley, Ca. Castro to [Jane] Grabhorn.
4. COLT PRESS
1. 1943, June 23.S.F., Ca. Louise Stivers (Bookkeeper) to Collector of Internal Revenue re: taxes.
2. 1944, Jan.12.S.F., Ca. Louise Stivers (accountant & bookkeeper) to Sales Tax Division.
3. 1944, Jan. 12.Same as # 2.
4. 1944, April 4.S.F., Ca. Louise [Stivers] to Jane & Bob [Grabhorn] re: taxes.
5. 1945, June 25.[S.F., Ca.]. Colt Press to Louis Jeffreys.
6. 1944, Oct. 31.[S.F.], Ca. [Louise Stivers] to Consumers' Book Cooperative.
7. 1946, Jan. 7.S.F., Ca. Louise [Stivers] to Jane & Bob [Grabhorn] re: taxes.
8. 1946, June 19.[S.F., Ca.]. Louise Stivers to McMurray's. TLs
9. ND.,S.F., Ca. Colt Press to State of California, Board of Equalization, Sales & Use Tax Return.
5. DRAKE, DOROTHY M: 1. 1940, Mar. 28.Drake (Librarian, Scripps College) to Jane Grabhorn.
6. DEVANS, HERBERT: 1. 1939, Dec. 1.Berkeley, Ca. Evans to Jane Grabhorn re: dating of Jumbo Press books. (includes list of Grabhorn books printed under Jumbo Press name.
7. FEDERAL SECURITY AGENCY, SOCIAL SECURITY BOARD: 1. 1942, July 9.S.F., Ca. C.E.C. Burnett, manager, to Colt Press.
8. GRABHORN, JANE
1. 1944, June 8.NP. Jane [Grabhorn] to Louise [Stivers].
2. 1944, Sept. 6.S.F. Ca. J.G. to Judge [UNK]
3. 1946, Nov. 16.S.F. Ca. J.G. to Roy.
9. GROLIER, CLUB:1. 1937, Oct. 23.New York. Ruth S. Grammiss(?) to Jane Grabhorn. TLS.
10. H. WOLFF BOOK MFG CO., INC: 1. 1941, Dec. 2.New York, N.Y. Ernst Reichl to Jane Grabhorn re: printing costs for the book The Pragmatic Test.
11. HEGNEMAN(?), ANNE: 1. ND.New York, N.Y. Hegneman to Jane [Grabhorn].
12. von HAGEN, V. WOLFGANG: 1. 1939,Berkeley, Ca. von hagen to Jane Grabhorn re: printing of Melville book.
13. HARCOURT, BRACE & CO., INC: 1. 1940, Oct. 29.New York Harcourt Brace & Co. to Colt Press re: The American Songbag.
14. HOGAN, BILL (SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE): 1. 1971, Mar. 25.[S.F., Ca.]. Hogan to Jane [Grabhorn] re: Bill Saroyan - xerox of autograph note from Saroyan to Hogan enclosed.
15. JONAS, CHARLES: 1. 1939, July 15.Evanston, Ill. Jonas to Jane Grabhorn re: dime novels.
16. JOSSELYN, MARJORIE: 1. ND., April 11.Redwood City, Ca. Josselyn to [Jane] Grabhorn.
17. KITTREDGE, WILLIAM A: 1. 1941, May 20.Evanston, Ill. Kittredge to Jane [Grabhorn].
1. 1939, June 8.Pacific Grove, Ca. Lovejoy to Jane Grabhorn. re: book Short Road.
2. ND., June 16.Pacific Grove, Ca. Lovejoy to [Jane] Grabhorn re: the book Short Road.
19. MACKENZIE & HARRIS, INC.: 1. 1937, Oct. 8.S.F., Ca. Carroll T. Harris to J[ane] Grabhorn re: Jumbo Press.
20. McMURRAY'S BOOKSHOP: 1. 1946, May 23.Dallas, Texas. Elizabeth Ann McMurray to Colt Press.
21. THE MISSOURI STORE COMPANY: 1. ND.Columbia, Missouri. R.E. Lucas, President, to [Colt Press].
22. ROBINSON, NOWELL & CO.
1. 1942, Jan. 22.S.F., Ca. Robinson, Nowell & Co. to Colt Press re: tax returns.
2. 1943, Nov. 9.S.F., Ca. Robinson, Nowell & Co. to Colt Press.
23. QUERCUS PRESS: 1. 1938, July 20.San Mateo, Ca. Ted and Frances Lilenthal to Jane Grabhorn.
24. SPARKS, ROBERT W. (UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII PRESS): 1. 1970 Jan. 14.Honolulu, Hawaii. Sparks to [Jane] Grabhorn.
25. TOWNSEND, DOREEN: 1. 1937, July 12.Berkeley, Ca. Townsend to Jane Grabhorn.
26. WHALE, JAMES: 1. 1955, April 21.Pacific Palisades, Ca. Whale to Jane [Grabhorn].
1. 1945, Mar. 6.NP. [Louise Stivers(?)] to Jane & Bob [Grabhorn] re: taxes.
2. 1945, Jan. 9.NP. [Louise Stivers(?)] to Bob & Jane [Grabhorn] re: income taxes.
MISC. CORRESPONDENCE - ARRANGED CHRONOLOGICALLY
1. 1920, May 27.NP. Jane (?) to Mother.
2. 1934, May 9.Hollywood, Ca. Bill to Jane & Bob [Grabhorn].
3. 1937, July 2.Berkeley, Ca. W_____(?) B_____(?) to Grabhorns, Jumbo Press.
4. 1937, Sept. 20.New York, N.Y. _____(?), Chairman of the American Institute of Graphic Arts to Mrs. Martha Jane Grabhorn re: membership for Mrs. Grabhorn in Institute.
5. 1937, Nov. 22.New York, N.Y. Philip C. Duschnes, Rare Books & First Editions, to Mr. H.R. Wagner re: special edition of Bookmaking on the Distaff Side.
6. 1938, Jan. 12.New York, N.Y. Jack Reynolds to Jane Grabhorn.
7. 1938, Feb. 1.Berkeley, Ca. Wilder Bentley to Bob and Jane [Grabhorn] re: printing.
8. 1939, July 21.Berkeley, Ca. Wilder Bentley to Jane [Grabhorn] re: possibilities for publishing mansucript by Wolfgang von Hagen.
9. 1941, Nov. 18.New York, N.Y. Nancy Booth Craig, National Broadcasting Co., Inc. to Colt Press re: transcript of material describing book The Epicure in Mexico. encl.
9a. 1943, Nov 4SF Ca Brobeck Phleger & Harrison (Howard J. Finn) to Al McCarthy re: agreement between colt Press and Wm. Roth. TL
10. 1943, Dec. 20.New York, N.Y. Karl Kup, Chairman American Institute of Graphic Arts to Jane Grabhonn re: selection of the book The Last Man for an exhibit.
11. 1943, Dec. 29.San Francisco, Ca. Jane Grabhorn to Carl [Karl] Kup re: selection of the Last Man for an exhibit.
12. 1951, Dec. 22.London, England. Teddy [Victor Reinganum] to Jane Grabhorn re: J.G.'s plan for trip overseas.
13. 1952, Feb. 20.Hammersmith, England. _____(?) _____(?) to Jane [Grabhorn].
14. 1953, Oct. 31.New York, N.Y. Bennett [Cerf?] to Jane Grabhorn. tel.
15. 1954, Dec. 30.San Francisco, Ca. Red Beans and Louis Satchmo Armstrong to Jane Grabhorn. tel.
16. 1956, Feb. 7.Palo Alto, Ca. Jeannette M. Hitchcock, Chief-Division of Special Collections to Jackson Burke re: Colt Press show.
17. 1957, Aug. 30.NP. Bob _____(?) to Jane [Grabhorn] re: book about cats.
18. 1963, Nov. 16.NP. Unknown [Don] to Jane [Grabhorn] re: Truman & Kennedy.
19. 1963, Nov. 29.NP. Don to Jane [Grabhorn].
20. 1964, March 21.Neuilly-S/Seine, France. Alain Geruey to Jane [Grabhorn].
21. 1964, Nov. 16.Washington, D.C. Bill [Roth] to Mrs. Robert [Jane] Grabhorn.
22. 1964, Dec. 7.San Francisco, Ca. Jane Grabhorn to Mr. Roth re: Grabhorn play Gracious Living.
23. .San Francisco, Ca. Jane Grabhorn to William Roth re: production and publication of Grabhorn's play The Brothers, The Mothers.
24. 1968, June 12.San Francisco, Ca. Jack Cummings to Robert Grabhorn.
25. 1968, July 11.NP. Deano (?) to Jane [Grabhorn].
26. 1968, July 22.San Francisco, Ca. Ruth Teiser to Jane [Grabhorn].
27. 1969, Jan. 22.Pleasantville, New York. Blake Clark, Editor - Reader's Digest to Jane [Grabhorn].
28. 1969, May 7.Palo Alto, Ca. J_____(?) H_____(?) to [Jane Grabhorn].
29. 1970, Aug. 14.Oakland, Ca. Lois Rather to Jane [Grabhorn].
30. 1972, Feb. 7.San Francisco, Ca. Andrew Hoyem to Paul C. Steele re: typography. TLS xerox copy with note Written by Jane Grabhorn.
31. 1972, Feb. 14.Barnabus, West Virginia. [Paul C. Steele] to Andrew Hoyem re: publishing and printing costs.
32. 1972, Feb. 15.Barnabus, West Virginia. Paul C. Steele to Andrew Hoyem.
33. 1972, Sept. 24.Huntington Beach, Ca. Mildred Yorba MacArthur (Mrs. Horacio Serrano) to Jane.
34. 1973, Feb. 12.Bronxville, N.Y. Valenti Angelo to Jane [Grabhorn].
35. 1973, Mar. 28.Columbia, S.C. Bob (Robert E. Bell) to Jane & Bob Grabhorn.
36. 1973, May 2.Berkeley, Ca. Steve Corey to Mr. & Mrs. Grabhorn.
37. ND., Aug. 29.Los Angeles, Ca. Fred W. Dwart to Jane Grabhorn.
38. ND., April 9.NP. Carolyn Coggins to Jane [Grabhorn]
39. ND.NP. Melina Mercouri to [Jane Grabhorn(?)].
40. ND.,Thursday. Kentfield, Ca. Dorothy & Lew(?) to Jane Grabhorn.
41. ND.NP. Joan(?) to Bob [Grabhorn].
42. ND., Nov. 18.New York. Marion R_____(?) to Jane [Grabhorn].
43. ND., Jan. 16.Mill Valley, Ca. Phyllis to Jane [Grabhorn].
44. ND.Huntington, [Genland]. [Earl of] Sandwich (George Montagu) to Jane [Grabhorn].
45. ND.San Francisco, Ca. William M. Roth to Jane [Grabhorn].
46. ND.Washington, D.C. William Roth to Jane [Grabhorn].
47. ND.NP. Andrew Hoyem to Mr. Steele.
48. ND.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
49. ND., May 24.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane Grabhorn.
50. ND., Aug. 15.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
51. ND.,Thursday. San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
52. ND., Nov. 9.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
53. ND., April 17.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Prez [Jane Grabhorn(?)].
54. ND., Dec. 12.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Grabhor
55. ND.,Monday. San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
56. ND., April 4.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Prez [J.G.].
57. ND., March 28.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
58. ND., Dec. 20.San Francisco, Ca. Herb Caen to Jane [Grabhorn].
59. ND.,NP. Jane [Grabhorn] to David.
60. ND.,Monday. [S.F., Ca.]. Jane Grabhorn to Betty.
61. ND.NP. Valenti Angelo to Bob & Jane [Grabhorn].
62. ND.,Sunday. NP. Jane [Grabhorn] to Babies.
63. ND.,Sunday. NP. Jane (?) [Grabhorn] to Friends re: trip abroad.
64. ND., Jan. 14.Van Couver. Jane [Grabhorn] to Shop(?).
65. ND.NP. [Jane Grabhorn] to Unknown re: trip abroad.
66. ND.Hinchingbrooke, Huntingdon. [Earl of Sandwich?] to Jane [Grabhorn].
67. ND.Hinchingbrooke, Huntingdon. Same as # 66.
68. ND.NP. Ken P_____(?) to?. TLS
69. ND.NP. Unknown to unknown
INVOICES - A: Elizabeth Agee Bookshelf; Alameda City Library; American News Co.; Ames Bookshop; Amherst College Library; Argonaut Bookshop; Argus; Bookshop; L.S. Ayres and Co.
INVOICES - B: Mr. P.A. Bailey; William M. Bains; Baker and Taylor Co.; Ball State Book Store; Bennett and Marshall; Bern Porter Books; Albert Bonnier Pulbishing House; The Book Cache; Book Clearing House; Book and Magazine Shop; Book of the Month Club Inc.; Bookhunters; Bookmark; Books Inc.; Book Shelf; Bookshop of Lucy Wilder; James R. Brehm; Brentano's Inc.; Albert Britnell Book Shop; Herbert F. Brown; J.E. & K.F. Brown; Brown Univ. Library; Bryant Bookshop; Mrs. Neil Buckley; Buffalo Public Library; Univ. of Buffalo - Locwood Memorial Library.
INVOICES - C: Univ. of Calif., Berkeley; Univ. of Calif., Los Angeles; Univ. of Calif., Medical Libran Calif. School Book Dep'y; Campbell's Book Store; Campus Bookstore - Univ. of Kentucky; Campus Textbook Exchange; Stephen Capernaros; H.C. Capwell Co.; Carnegie Library of Atlanta Beatrice Carpenter; Philip Case; Dan Castro; Nicholas Cataldo; Centaur Bookshop; Mrs. Joseph Chamberlain; Chaucer Head Bookshop; Stuart Chevalier; Univ. of Chicago Bookstore; Chiswick Bookshop; Claitor's Bookshop; College Book Exchange; College Shop - Mills College; Columbia University Bookstore; Library of Congress; State of Conn.; Constantia Booksellers; Consumers' Book Cooperative, Inc.; Cooperative Bookstore, Univ. of Tenn; Cornell Univ. Library; Edith M. Coulter; J.C. Crews; J.V. Cunningham; Mrs. Arthur C. Curtner.
INVOICES - D-G: Daliel's; Harmer E. Davis; Dawson's Bookshop; James Ladd Delkia; Denver Art Museum; May Dormin, Doubleday Doran Bookshop; Chaplain E.T. DuBrau; Duke Univ.; Philip D. Duschnes; Dutton's Inc.
Eastern Book Co.; Harvey Eastling; Edward Eberstadt and Son; Paul Elder & Son; Prof. Albert Elkus; Charles Elkus; Elsa Gift Shop; The Emporium; Mrs. Edmund Engel; Euclid Book Co.
The Fair; Edith Farnsworth Bookshop; Mr. Francis Farquhar; Field's Bookstore; Fowler Brothers; Fresno Bookshop; Gardner's Bookshop.
Gelber Lileinthal Inc.; Gellert's Bookstore; Georgia State Women's College; J.K. Gill Co.; Glen Bros. Music Co.; Gotham Book Mart; Gould, Mrs. Lilly B; Gramercy Bookshop; Gran, Anthony; Grauer, Ben; Grolier Bookshop.
INVOICES - H-L: Hagedorn Bookshop; Hartman, Harry; Harvard College Library; Harvard Bookstore; Harvard Cooperative; Haunted Bookshop; A. & W. Head Inc; Hersholt, Mr. Jean; Hill's Stationery Store; Hirshberg, Harry H; Holliday, J.J.; Holliday Bookshop; Hollywood Bookstore; Holman's, Holmes Book Col.; Houston Bookstore; John Howell Bookstore; J.L. Hudson Co.; Marian Hunter Bookshop; Hunter College; Huntington Bookstore; Huntington Library.
Innon, Mr. M.G.; Illinois Institute of Technology; Immaculate Heart College; Indiana University.
Jeffreys, Louis [Lewis]; John Hopkins Univ.; Johnson's Bookstore.
Kees, Mrs. John; John G. Kidd and Son; Alfred A. Knopf; Kroch's Bookstore, Inc.;
Lambert Grant Inc.; T.&J. Lawrence Bookstore Dr. Milton Levine; Curtis Lindsay; Laurence Livingston; Leon Livingston Ad Agency; B.W. Lucas College Book Co.; Dr. Henry Lund; Dr. George D. Lyman.
INVOICES - M-N: Malcolm MacNeil & Co.; David Magee; Main Street Bookstore; Marshall Field & Co.; Laurence R. Maxwell; J.A. McCleary; A.C. McClurg & Co.; Cpl. Robert J. McLaughlin; McMurray's; Paul McPharlin; Miami Univ.; Thomas More Books, Jules Megeff; Methodist Publishing House, Univ. of Michigan Miller's; Henry Morgan & Co.;
The Nation; National Bibliophile Service; New Mexico Bookstore; New York Public Library; John L. Newbegin; Newman Bookshop; Nichols School.
INVOICES - O-S: Oakland Public Library; Oakland Public Schools; Occidental College Bookstore; DeWitt O'Kieffe; Duncan H. Olmstead; Ormsby Book Service;
Peninsula Bookshop; Perine Book Co.; Personal Bookshop; Post Purchasing and Contracting Office; Price's Order Service; Princeton Univ. Store; Progressive Bookshop;
Queens Borough Public Library
Graham Ray Bookshop; Reserve Bookstore; Richmond Memorial Library; J.W. Robinson, Co.; Paul Romaine; Rosenbach Co.;
St. Mary of the Springs College; St. Paul Book Co.; William Salloch; San Francisco News Co.; Sather Gate Bookshop; Satyr Bookshop; Schill's Bookshop; Scribner Bookshop; Sherman Clay Co.; Sherwood's Inc.; Skidmore College Library; Southwest Museum; Mrs. Jessie Spear; Don Stanford; Stanford Bookstore; Stanford Univ. Bookstore; G.E. Stecher and Co.; Stechert-Hofner Co.; Stewart's Inc; Walter Stoddard; Stokes and Stockell Bookshop; Lee Stopple; A.D. Storrs; Cpl. Dave L. Swank Jr.
INVOICES - T-Z: Andrew A. Tagaris; Tecolote Bookshop; James L. Thielman; G. Harrison Thomson; Tulsa Bookshop; Otto Ulbrich; United States International Book Assc. Inc.; University Bookstore - Columbia, Missouri; University Book Store; Vanguard Booksellers' Vassar Cooperative Bookshop; University of Virginia; Vincent Vodrazka; A.C. Vroman Inc; S/Sgt. Eugene Walter; Mrs. John I. Walter; John Wanamaker; Central Washington College of Education; Wayne University; Wellesley College Library; James M. Wells; Westwood Bookstore; Emil White; The White House; Mrs. William Whitlock; Whyte Bookshop; Vern Cleghorn Wilkins; Dr. Ernest H. Willers; Dr. George A. Williamson; Carl K. Wilson; Wold Bookshop; College of Wooster; William Wreden (Wreden's Bookshop); Charles Yate Bookstore.
INVOICES: REVERSE CHRONOLOGICAL - 1946
INVOICES: # 735 - 1053 11/40-12/40.
INVOICES: # 5670 - 8867 12/46-7/47
INVOICES: # 8868 - 8954 7/47 - 10/47
INVOICES: # 8955 - 9098 10/47- 3/49
RECEIPTS: A.C. Gollan & Son; Korsmeier & Swanson; Matson Securities; Wm. S. Millerick Co., Inc.; William T. Wheeler.
CANCELLED CHECKS: 9/41 - 4/42
CANCELLED CHECKS: 5/42 - 12/43
CANCELLED CHECKS: 1/44 - 6/45
CANCELLED CHECKS: 7/45 - 2/47
DEBIT SLIPS: 10/41 - 9/42, 3/44 - 12/47
BANK STATEMENTS: 1941, 1947
BANK STATEMENTS: 1948, 1949
BANK STATEMENTS: 1949
Stationery and envelopes (blank)
ACCOUNT BOOK: 1938 - 1939
ACCOUNT BOOK: 1939 - 1945
ACCOUNT BOOK: 1943 - 1947
Account reports & inventories
Income tax returns;
Financial matters misc.
1. Death and Inebriation, poem by Rachel Whimsey -
2. For the Christening of Boofy's Litter of Puppies, typescript of a poem.
3. Saroyan - He's Wonderful - by Jane Grabhorn,
4. A Rondeau for Jane Bissell Grabhorn on Her Birthday, typescript poem.
5. Typescript - translation of a Review (on The Colussus of Maroussi) by M.J. Politis published in in the National Herald, Greek Daily of New York, issue November 27th, 1941.
6. Wedding invitation, 1946
7. Lease between Gordon F. Hurst and Mrs. Robert Grabhorn. July 17, 1939.
8. Invitation to a previewing of typographical work of Jane Grabhorn, 1956(two).
9. Seller's Permit - Jane Grabhorn (two)
10. Christmas greeting card
11. Stationery & envelopes - Jumbo Press, Colt Press, Grabhorn Press
12. Typescript of a poem by George Montague, Earl of Sandwich. A Reminder. Originally inserted in the copy of In a Green Shade.
13. Typescripts of a poem by George Montague - A Woodland Garden
14. A handwritten note inserted in In a Green Shade - description and explanation of numbers 12 & 13
15. Miscellaneous notes and scraps of papers
16. Two xerox copies
17. Original linoleum block by Mallette Dean
18. 2 unpublished manuscripts (fragment - typed).
NEWSCLIPPINGS RE: Jane Grabhorn, her work, books printed by Colt Press, Colt Press
Ink drawings by various artists for vignettes
Manuscript of The Better Mouse Trap by Jane Grabhorn
Awards of Merit - Rounce & Coffin, Western Books, American Institute of Graphic Arts
Jumbo Press -
1. Jane Grabhorn's (?) typescript notes: a. Author's Note, b. Cherchez La Femme
2. Typescript - The Union Street Car
3. Typescript - The Jumbo Press - Before and After
4. Typescript - no - title -
1. Eleven drawings by Otis Oldfield (those drawings which are signed were used in the book McTeague)
2. Two drawings by Sotomayor(?)