Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Carson Hill Gold Mining Corporation, 1917-1942
858-877, 1636-1640  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (61.68 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
Application and information cards, bills and invoices, correspondence, daily assay, mill & precipitation reports, detailed company costs, expenditures miscellany, general accounts, journal entries, memos, mining returns, operation & production records, pay roll, requisitions, statement of bullion sent to mint, mill report, timber inventory, timebook and timecards
In 1919, W. J. Loring and Assoc. of Boston formed the Carson Hill Gold Mines Co., Inc. with A. D. Stevenot as superintendent. The Morgan Hill and the Calaveras Mine and Mill were purchased and a rich hanging ore wall was discovered at the Morgan mine. During the next few years, additional properties were absorbed, including those of the Melones Consolidated Mining Co., and the name of the company was changed to Carson Hill Gold Mining Corporation. However, after encountering the rich ore body in the Morgan, the other mines were neglected. Furthermore, in 1924, a policy of selective mining was adopted which ultimately resulted in a decrease in the earnings and tonnage output. The company operated the properties thus until 1926 when for lack of capital they were forced to close.
Please credit California State Library.