Inventory of the Classics Department Reports, 1971-1987
Processed by UCLA University Archives staff; machine-readable finding aid created by Caroline Cubé.
UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections
21560 Young Research Library
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Title: Classics Department Reports
Date (inclusive): 1971-1987
Record Series number: 301
Creator: University of California, Los Angeles.
2 boxes (.8 linear ft.)
University of California, Los Angeles. Library.
Department of Special Collections. University Archives.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections, University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.
Restrictions on Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.
Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library,
Department of Special Collections, University Archives. Literary rights, including copyright,
are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of
the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the
copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC
Regents do not hold the copyright.
Source of Acquisition/Provenance
Classics Department. Transfer, November 1988.
[Identification of item], Classics Department Reports (Record Series number 301). Department of Special Collections, University
Archives, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.
The current Classics Department at UCLA originates from a small department called "Classical Languages," formed in 1919 at
the inception of UCLA and consisting of the professor and six classes. In 1922, a second professor joined the department
and classes in Ancient Greek were added to the curriculum. By 1965, the faculty numbered 12 members responsible for courses
in Latin and Greek and another six members responsible for Indo-European studies (Hungarian, Finnish, Celtic, Irish, and the
ancient languages of Sanskrit and Hittite), and the department has instituted programs leading to the master and doctoral
Record Series 301
Scope and Content Note
Contains annual reports (1975-1985), planning reports (1971-1987), core curriculum report (1981), foreign language review
report (1982), and various reports from the department chair.
Arranged chronologically by type of report.