Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Christian Colony (Acampo, Calif.) Records, 1905-1940
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.53 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
Table of contents What's This?
The Christian Colony Records consist principally of the Colony Church of Christ (Acampo, Calif.) records (1905-1940).
In 1904 a Stockton (Calif.) bank hired J.P. Dargitz to sell 1000 acres of land formerly belonging to State Senator Benjamin F. Langford north of the Mokelumne River near Acampo. Dargitz advertised the land in a magazine published by the Christian Church as available exclusively to members of that denomination. The land was subdivided into ten acre parcels that sold for between $1200 and $1500 each. A sufficient number of settlers were attracted to the region within a year to warrant establishment of the Colony Church of Christ. Members of this church continued to farm the region for more than thirty-five years, until the church property was sold to the Bruella School District (1940).
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
Collection is open for research by appointment only.