The collection was given to the GTU Library in the late 1970's by Daniel
O'Hanlon. It was not officially deeded to the GTU Archives until 1992. Originally in
cardboard cartons, the collection was reboxed and moved at least twice by different
library staff persons when the library was moved, and again during a later construction
phase of the library. Because of the moves, the original order of the collection was
Daniel O'Hanlon, S.J. (1919-1992) entered the Jesuit Order in 1939, and was ordained in
1952. He studied in Rome and Tubingen, receiving his S.T.D. in Fundamental Theology from
the Gregorian University, Rome, 1958. Post Doctoral work included a semester with Rudolph
Bultman at Syracuse, and a semester with Paul Tillich at Harvard. He began teaching at
Alma College in 1958. He came to Berkeley when Alma College moved to join the GTU and
became the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley in 1966. He was Professor Emeritus at
JSTB at the time of his death in a car accident in 1992.
Copyright has not been assigned to The Graduate Theological Union. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the
Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Graduate Theological
Union as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.