Information for Researchers
Scope and Content of the Collection
List of Correspondents
Collection Title: Gertrude Franklin Horn Atherton papers
Date (inclusive): circa 1917-1966
Collection Number: BANC MSS C-H
Atherton, Gertrude Franklin Horn,
Number of containers: 16 boxes, 3 cartons, 1 oversize box, 1 oversize folder
Linear feet: 10.4
The Bancroft Library
Berkeley, California 94720-6000
Physical Location: Many of the Bancroft Library collections are stored
offsite and advance notice may be required for use. For current information on the
location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Abstract: Correspondence includes letters from publishers and friends.
Contracts and accounts; manuscripts of various novels and stories; copies of stories
published in magazines and papers; clippings. Correspondents include Mary R. Beard,
Edmund G. "Pat" Brown, Max Eastman, Fannie Hurst, Joseph Henry Jackson, Otto H.
Kahn, Sinclair Lewis, Carey McWilliams, Thomas Mann, Upton Sinclair, Dorothy
Thompson, Ida Tarbell, Carl Van Vechten, Rebecca West, and John Steinbeck.
Information for Researchers
Collection is open for research.
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title
17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted
by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor
restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that
allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without
permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively
with the user.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection
materials must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services, The
Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley 94720-6000. See:
[Identification of item], Gertrude Franklin Horn Atherton Papers, BANC MSS C-H
45, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in
the library's online public access catalog.
Franklin Horn, 1857-1948--Archives
Franklin Horn, 1857-1948--Correspondence
Manuscripts for publication
Beard, Mary Ritter, 1876-1958,
Brown, Edmund G. (Edmund Gerald),
Eastman, Max, 1883-1969, correspondent
Hurst, Fannie, 1889-1968, correspondent
Jackson, Joseph Henry, 1894-1955,
Kahn, Otto Hermann, 1867-1934,
Lewis, Sinclair, 1885-1951,
McWilliams, Carey, 1905-1980,
Mann, Thomas, 1875-1955, correspondent
Sinclair, Upton, 1878-1968,
Thompson, Dorothy, 1893-1961,
Tarbell, Ida M. (Ida Minerva),
Van Vechten, Carl, 1880-1964,
West, Rebecca, 1892-1983, correspondent
Steinbeck, John, 1902-1968,
Scope and Content of the Collection
The papers of Gertrude Atherton were a gift to The Bancroft Library, June 26, 1953,
from her daughter, Mrs. Muriel Atherton Russell. Mrs. Atherton's early papers were
destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake and fire, 1906; some are in the Library of
Congress. This group, which mostly covers the period from 1920 to her death in 1948, includes
correspondence, manuscripts of novels and stories, accounts with publishers and
newspaper clippings concerning her writings.The collection also includes some additional manuscripts and correspondence donated
to the Bancroft Library in 1975.
There are very few copies of Mrs. Atherton's letters since she rarely used a
typewriter. The letters to her are arranged alphabetically. The following list
contains the names of all her correspondents. Cards have been placed in the
Manuscripts Catalog for those judged most important. However, no cards have been
made for the large groups of publisher's letters.
Letters written by Mrs. Atherton acquired from several sources, have been placed in
List of Correspondents
A -- Miscellaneous
- Affleck, Benjamin Franklin, 1869-1944
- Ahlern, Judith
- Aiken, Ednah (Robinson) (Mrs. Charles Sedgwick), 1872
- Alexander, Ruth
- Aley, Maxwell
- America, Frank M.
- American Guild of Organists, Northern California Chapter
- American Historical Association, Pacific Coast Branch
- American Union for Nationalist Spain
- Anglin, Margaret, 1876-
- Letter, March 26, 1923
Signed: Margaret Anglin Hull.
- Anzini, Irma Curtis
- Armstrong, Leslie L.
- Associated Magazine Contributors, Inc.
- Associated Press
- Auernheimer, Raoul
- Author's and Writer's Who's Who
- "Ayesha and Charles"
Altrocchi, Julia (Cooley), 1893-
- 12 letters, 1931, 1940-1947
With a short autobiographical sketch.
Altrocchi, Mrs. Rudolph
see Altrocchi, Julia (Cooley),
American Classical League
- 6 letters, 1929-1944. Include:
- Dunn, Frederic S.
- Macvay, Anna P.
- Magoffin, Ralph Van Deman
- Robinson, Rachel
- Sargent, Ullman, B. L.
American Play Company, Inc.
- 3 letters, 1923. Include:
Andigné, Madeleine (Goddard), marquise d'
Appleton (D) - Century Company
- 5 letters, 1933-1944. Include:
- Jewett, Rutger Bleeker
- Schaeffer, C. Gibson
- Letter to Max Eastman, 1943
- 2 letters, 1933-1934
One signed by Ellery Sedgwick. Also include:
Author and Journalist
- Bartlett, John T., letter & questionnaire, 1946
Authors' League of America, Inc.
- 14 letters, 1931-1947
Letters from Ivan von Auw, Jr.; Manuel Komroff; George Armin
Shaftel; Luise Sillcox; Darwin L. Teilhet for the Authors' Guild and
from Emmet Lavery for the Screen Writers' Guild. With printed notices, a
ballot, and a copy of the Authors' League Bulletin.
B -- Miscellaneous
- Bailey, Ralph E.
- Baker, Irwin H. (no folder)
- Ball, Allan P.
- Ballinger, Betty (no folder)
- Barber, Jackson (no folder)
- Barlow, Walter Jarvis
- Bartholomew, Marguerite (no folder)
- Batley, Roger
- Beamish, Mrs. R. J. (Maud Weatherly)
- Beatty, Bessie
- Beddington, Mrs. Claude
- Begin, Z. L. (no folder)
- Bell, Balery (Yorke) - (Mrs. George Bell)
- Bell, (Mrs. George)
- Berg, Portia Willis, (Mrs. L. Rodney)
- Berkeley Women's City Club
- Signed by Fraser, Etta B., n.d
- Bernet, Ester (no folder)
- Beyer, Marie H.
- Bigelow, Poultney, 1855-1954
- Bigelow, Mrs. L. S.
- Billings, Buddy B. (no folder)
- Biographical Encyclopedia of the World
- Sent by Nichols, C. A., 1944
- Birsic, Rudolph (no folder)
- Blair, Lynette (no folder)
- Bloom, Monroe A.
- Bonnell, Georgia (no folder)
- Book Club - London
- Signed by Folye, Christina, 1938
- Borch, F. Gerald (no folder)
- Bosaks, Miles (no folder)
- Boswell, Mrs. Jesse L. (no folder)
- Bottome, Phyllis
- Bowers, Miss Juanita (no folder)
- Bowes, Edward (Major)
- Letter, Oct. 31, 1940
From "Major Bowes."
- Bowman, James A. (no folder)
- Boyd, Martha (Kenny)
- Boyer, Mrs. Perry Francis
- Brackett, Rogers
- Bradley, Beth M.
- Bradley, Mary F.
- Branden, Benjamin Kammerer
- Brandt, Ruth (also signed Mrs. Edmund S. R.)
- Bramble, David M.
- Breakey, Arnold S. (no folder)
- Brenner, Virginia (no folder)
- Brickhont, Jennie Hall (no folder)
- Brighouse, Harold
- Brobst, Sue
- Brodeur, Arthur Gilchrist, 1888-
- Bromley, Haworth
- Brown, Mr. Clare (no folder)
- Brown, Gisella Donath (no folder)
- Brown, Ethel Zaring
- Brown, Louise D.
- Browning, Norma Lee
- Brunn, Mrs. E. L. (no folder)
- Bryant, Wilbury (no folder)
- Burgess, Gelett
- Burt, (A. L.) Company
- Signed by Harry P. Burt, 1923
- Burton, Pauline Emerson
- Bynner, Witter, 1881-
Bail, Laura P.
Bancroft, Eleanor (Ashby)
Barnett, Harriett Honoré
Batchelder, Frank Roe
Beard, Mary (Ritter), (Mrs. Charles A.), 1876-
Bender, Albert M., 1866-1941
- 16 letters, 1931-1933
Include two cards and copy of a letter to Mrs. Aurelia
- 22 letters, 1923-1948
With a copy of his paper entitled "Steinach-Therapy Against Old
Bentley, M. Julia
Bergman, Bernard A.
Blake, Katherine Alexander (Duer), (Mrs. Duer Blake),
Blue Ribbon Books
- 4 letters, 1934
Signed by Eugene Reynal, Pres.
- 14 letters, 1924-1947
See also Williams, John
Bokums, Fanny Butcher and Richard Drummond
Bowe, Morton, 1904-
Branch, Rose Channing
Brennan, Anne, and Brennan, T.
- 3 letters, 1946-1947
Clipping from the
San Francisco Chronicle included.
Also, 4 letters from Susan and Judith Brier.
Brown, Edmund G., "Pat"
- Letter, and notes, 1945
Newspaper clippings and report on juvenile crime, divorce rates,
etc., from the District Attorney's office.
Brunner, Mrs. Arnold
Burns, May (Horn)
Burrows, Anne (Mrs. E. Dudley)
C -- Miscellaneous
- CBS Broadcasting Station
- Caffrey, John
- Caldwell, Mrs. F. (no folder)
- California Federation of Business & Professional Womens Clubs
- Letter, Aug. 2, 1927
Signed by Tyler, Harriet P.
- Californians Inc.
- California Spring Blossom & Wild Flower Association
- California Writers & Artists of the San Joaquin Valley
- Cameron, Helen
- Campbell, Alan
- Canada, William (no folder)
- Cape, Jonathan
- Carpenter, R. (no folder)
- Carse, Iva A. (no folder)
- Case, Elizabeth Nichols
- Chadbourne, Ellis
- Chambers, Ben F. (no folder)
- Chamberlin, Marian (no folder)
- Charles, (Mrs.) Ada (no folder)
- Chatham Phenix National Bank & Trust Company
- Chapple, Joe Mitchell
- Cheney, Janet K.
- Chevalier, Elizabeth
- Church, Eleanor B. (no folder)
- Clark, Elizabeth Kant
- Clark, Bill
- Clark, Menah F.
- Clark, Nalbro B.
- Cline, Olga Atherton
- Close, Norma
- Coblentz, Stanton Arthur
- Coghlan, John
- Colburn, Mrs. Frederick Henry
- Collantes, Manuel, Republic of the Philippines, Dept. of Foreign
Affairs (no folder)
- Columbia Pictures Corporation
- Signed by Eve Ettinger, 1940
- Committee on American History in the Schools & Colleges
- Signed by Wesley, Edgar Bruce, 1943
- Coley, Altsee G. E.
- Conant, J. E. (no folder)
- Condon, (Mrs.) May
- Conklin, Helen (no folder)
- Cook, Mary B. (Mrs. W. B.) (no folder)
- Cooper, Ada (no folder)
- Cooper, Bryant (no folder)
- Cooper, Charles Miner
- Coroman, Evangeline S. (no folder)
- Corville, Meta
- Costa, Geraldine
- Coughlin, Alice
- Cousins, Norman, 1912-
- Letter, Mar. 4, 1947
Written as editor of
- Covey, Francis R.
- Cowley, Malcolm, 1898-
- Crandall, Nellie H., (Mrs. L. A.)
- Cranston, Graham
- Signed by Roland Meyer in cooperation with Standard Oil Co.,
- Crocker, George N.
- Cross, Mrs. F. F.
- Cross, Anne G. (no folder)
- Cross, Joe Cameron
- Cruchaga, Juan Guzman
- Cunning, Aurelia Reid
Calhoun, George Miller
- 25 letters,1927-1940
Also 6 letters from his wife,
Caldwell, Erskine, 1903-
- 5 letters,1944
California Historical Society
California Writers' Club
- 10 letters,1936-1942
Letters from Rudolph Altrocchi,
Charles Keeler, Suren H. Babington, Julia C. Altrocchi; also includes
the California Writers' Club Monthly Letter Issues of March and May,
Carmody, Mary Octavia
Carroll, Anna T.
Century Club of California
- 3 letters,1941
Includes an article from
Chung, Margaret J., 1889-
Churchhill, Judith Chase
Clayburgh, Alma Norris (Mrs. Albert)
Cobb, Mariedna Snell
Coblentz, Edmond David, 1882-
- Lettersca. 1946. Include:
- Keller, E. A.
- Trussell, P. L.
- Creecy, John, (story by)
Copeland, Isabel D., (Mrs. Arthur Blackbrun)
Coward, McCann Inc.
Coward, Thomas R.
Cowen, Gertrude F.
Curtis Brown, Ltd.
- 26 letters,1923-1940. Include:
- *Brown, Curtis
- Joseph, Michael
- *Halliday, G. E.
- Bounds, Henry
- Watson, Enid
- Butterworth, Thornton
- Kearton, Cherry
D -- Miscellaneous
- Dakin, Lawrence
- Dakin, Rodney G. (no folder)
- Dalmases, Mr. & Mrs. Henry (no folder)
- Dall, Mrs. W. (no folder)
- Damrosch, Walter Johannes, 1862-1950
- Dare, Faith (no folder)
- Darragh, Elsie M. (no folder)
- Dartmouth College
- Signed by Rugg, Harold G., Asst. Librarian, 1938
- Davenport, Gwen (Mrs. John)
- Davis, Forbes (?)
- Davis, Nannie H. (no folder)
- Davis, Mrs. R.
- Deagoumit, Julia A.
- Dearborn, George Van Ness, 1869-1938
- De Kay, Drake
- De Long, Edith (Haggin)
- De Navarro, Philip
- Dempsey, Adal (no folder)
- Dempster, Opal
- de Vaulchier, Dorothy
- Devoe, Alan
- Signed by Nature Editor of
The Readers Digest,
- de Wolfe, Elsie
- Dicksteen, Rita (no folder)
- Doake, Ethelda A.
- Dodd, Loring Holmes, 1879-
- Donald, Jeanne (no folder)
- Dondo, Anna (Mrs. Mathurin)
- Donnelly, Dorothy
- Donoghue, Gus
- Donohoe, Christine
- Dour, Emil (no folder)
- Drum, Georgiana, (A. Spieker), (Mrs. John Sylvester)
- Du Port, Eugene
- Duber, (Mrs.) Mathilde R. (no folder)
- Dudley, Helen A. Hamilton (Mrs. Edward Reddall)
- Duker, Helene Webb (Mrs. Herman S.) (no folder)
- Dunn, M. Knight (no folder)
- Dutton, (E. P. & Co., Inc.)
- Signed by Wreden, Nicholas, Vice Pres., 1945
- Duval, George L.
- Dyer, Joseph
Dana, Julian, 1907-
Dan-America Archives Society, signed by Svend Waendelin,
Darling, Esther Birdsall
Decasseres, Benjamin, d. 1945
De Ford, Miriam Allen, 1888-
- 2 letters, Sept. and Nov. 1946
de Nair, Alice
Dennis, Phyllis (Mrs. Forbes)
Dickey, Florence (Mrs. William Duvall)
Dobie, Charles Caldwell, 1881-1943
- 4 letters, 1924 and [1937?]
Includes two printed copies of the "In Memoriam" written by
Dobie, Clarence W.
Dominican College, San Rafael, Calif.
- 28 letters, 1935-1948
Signed by Sister M. Dominic, Mother Raymond, Sister M. Margaret,
Sister M. Mercedes, Sarah Wingate Taylor, and Nancy Scott Lapham,
Secretary of the Dominican Alumnae Association.
Duell, Sloan, & Pearce, Inc.
- 36 letters, 1943-1946. Include:
- Duell, C. Halliwell
- Pearce, Charles A.
- Daldos, D.
Dutton, June (Mrs. F. G.)
Duval, George L.
E -- Miscellaneous
- E., W. C. (no folder)
- Earle, Dorothy Dirchner
- Earle, W. W. (Mrs.)
- Eastman, Max
- Letter, Feb. 28, 1943
Acknowledgement for story about Walt Whitman, and mention
of Max Eastman's book reviews in the
- Easton, Eleanor R.
- Echols, Weyland
- Edwards, Donald D.
- Edwards, Rindar (no folder)
- Enge, Dorothy (no folder)
- Equal Rights
- Signed by Helen Hunt West, 1938
- Estcourt, Zilfa
- Estrada, Gonzalo
- Sent to J. P. Lippincott Co., 1948
- Ettelson, Inez P. (Mrs. Lee)
- Evans, Edgar Hanks, 1870-
- Eyer, Cortland
- Eyre, Mary
Elder, Paul and Emma (Mrs. Paul Elder)
Emerich Lecture Bureau, Inc.
- 15 letters, 1924
Signed by Emmerich, F. J. and Fruman, H. F.
Eyre, Katherine (Wigmore), (Mrs. Dean Atherton)
- 2 letters, July and Oct., 1946
Eyre & Spottiswoode (Publishers) Ltd.
- 2 letters. Signed by:
- Jerrold, Douglas
- Millar, Ruby
F -- Miscellaneous
- Farrell, Anne
- Faulkner, Hazel Pedler
Falconer, R. Craig, (Mrs. Fredrick)
- Fedden, Alice Atherton
- Felton, Cora Smedberg (no folder)
Ferris, Helen Josephine, 1890-
Fidao, Max N.
- Fiek, Mary Lee (no folder)
- Finnegan, Florence (no folder)
Fisher, Evelyn Anne Benson, 1898-
Fiske, Minnie Maddern (Davey), 1865-1932
Fitzgerald, Flora Ellen
Forman, Henry James, 1879-
- 5 letters, 1918, 1920, 1927
- Fousten, Helen (no folder)
- Fowe, Chester E. (no folder)
- Frank, Henry (no folder)
- Franklin, Christine (Ladd), 1847-
Freiberg, Stella H. (Mrs. J. Walter)
- Friends of the Library, Stanford University
- Furet, Mrs. Charlotte (no folder)
Farley, Fred Long, 1884-
Farquhar, Samuel Thaxter, 1890-1949
Farrar & Rinehart Publishers
- 3 letters, 1934-1945
Signed by Farrar, John and Selby, John.
Field, Sara Bard, (Mrs. Charles Erskine Scott Wood), 1882-
- 2 letters, 1929 and 1935
Also greeting card and newspaper clippings.
Finn, Eugenia Townsend, (Mrs. W. E. Finn), 1887-
- 2 letters, July and Sept., 1940
Fisher, Geraldine, (Mrs. Godfrey)
Fiske, Minnie Maddern (Davey), 1865-1932
Flack, Frank M.
Fletcher, Inglis (Clark), 1886-
G -- Miscellaneous
- Gates, Arnold Francis
- Gelber-Lilienthal Inc.
- Letter, Feb. 23, 1945
Signed by Leon Gelber.
- Geyer, Donna, (Mrs. Warren F.)
- Gilman, Dorothy Foster, (Mrs. Bradley), 1891-
- Golden, Viola, (Mrs. Waldo E.)
- Goldsmith, Irma C.
- Goldstein, Edith (no folder)
- Gooch, Margaret Radcliffe
- Gorham, Harry Motson, 1859-
- Govens, Kathryn
- Graddy, Sara F. (no folder)
- Graham, Lloyd, 1893-
- Grant, (Mrs. Joseph Donohoe), Edith M. Macleay
- Grant, Percy Stickney, 1860-
- Graty, Minnie
- Gravander, Akel
- Greene, Belle da Costa
- Greener, Helen L. (Mrs. George A. Greener)
- Greenman, Nellie
- Gregory, Elizabeth Hiatt, 1872-
- Greystone Press, Inc.
- Griffin, Frank A.
- From manager of Hotel Senator, Sacramento, Calif.,
- Grimm & Co.
- Grosset & Dunlap Publishers
- Signed by Alexander Grosset, 1934
- Grunsky, Clothilde
- Guck, Homer, 1877-1949
- Guggenheim (John Simon) Memorial Foundation
- Signed by Henry Allen Moe, 1945
Grube, Adele (Mrs. R. S. Grube)
Gerlach, Susie R.
Gessler, Clifford Franklin
Giffen, R. L.
- 7 letters, 1926-1932
Also telegram sent as Mrs. Atherton's agent.
see also Kauser,
Alice; Lewellen, Ethel Wood; Wagstall, Anabelle
Girdner, Margaret Virinda, 1893-
Golden Gate International Exposition (Filed under San
- Signed by: Cameron, Mrs. George T., Chr. of Womens Board
Goldstone (Jules C.) Agency
- 39 letters, 1942-1946
Also a telegram signed by Alvin G. Manuel; and a letter signed by
Cay Baldwin, Secretary to Mr. Goldstone.
Goldwyn (Samuel) Inc., Ltd.
- 2 letters, 1921, 1938-1940. Include:
- Marx, Samuel
- Unger, Gertrude C.
- 3 letters, 1923-1940. Include:
- Bigelow, W. F.
- Lauge, Eileen
Goss, Charles A., 1863-
Grant, Laura (Mrs. Oliver Remick)
- 11 letters, 1937-1948
Laura Grant was President of the Penwomen, 1938-1940.
Grubb, Ethel (McAllister)
Gulick, Charles Burton
H -- Miscellaneous
- Hadris, Warren J.
- Hall, Carroll Douglas, 1902-
- Hall, Sophie Mary (Duncan) Oliver, Lady
- Halliburton, Dick (Richard), 1900-1939
- Hamburger, Evelyn
- Hamilton Club of America
- Signed by Daniel Thomas Taylor, Jr., 1944
- Hamilton, Cosmo, d. 1942
- Hamilton, Gladys (Coates)
- Hamlin, Herbert Skyhawk
- 3 letters, 1943-1947
Written as editor of
- Hammond, Horace S. (no folder)
- Hammond, Marguerite Jerome (Edwards) (Mrs. Milton E.)
- Hanton, Gerald
- Harbin, Mrs. Arthur (no folder)
- Hardesty, William L.
- Hardy, Mrs. Summer
- Forwarded by Mrs. Edward Erle Brownell to Mrs. Atherton,
- Harms, Irma
- Harron, Marion Janet, 1903-
- Hart, M. Philomena
- Hathaway, Grace H. (no folder)
- Hartmann, George
- Hawes, Mrs. Harry Bartow, (Harriet Ann (Boyd) ?), 1871-
- Haxton, S.
- Hayden, Elizabeth T.
- Hayden, Margaret
- Head, Julia A. (Mrs. Charles E.)
- Heimerl, Elizabeth
- Hellinger, Mark, 1903-1947
- Hempy, Lois
- Henderson, Leon, 1895-
- Herald, Elizabeth
- Herby, Nels Jensen, 1859-
- Herold, Marion A.
- Hewins, Mrs. H. A. (no folder)
- Hibberd, Isaac Lloyd
- Higgins, Erna
- Higgins, Lawrence Mansfield
- Hill, Howard, (Copeland?)
- Hines, John Chesterfield, 1877-
- Hodel, Emilia
- Holcombe, E. Lee (no folder)
- Holm, Frits Wilhelm, Duke of Kolachine, 1881-1930
- Holman, Zena G.
- Holmes, Frederick Lionel, 1883-1946
- Hornbeck, Charles L.
- Hosmer, Mrs. Herbert Buttrick
- Hovey, Anne
- 1946?, also letter from Bretano's
- Howard, Dana
- Howard, Isabella
- Howard, Shafter, 1863-
- Howell, Margaret M., (Mrs. W. H.)
- Hoyas, Marie de (no folder)
- Hughes, Rupert, 1872-
- Letter, Jan. 21, 1946
With review of
Golden Gate Country.
- Hull, Helen (Rose?)
- Hull, Margaret Anglin
(see Anglin, Margaret)
- Hunt, Violet
- Huntington, Henry E. Library & Art Gallery
- Hurlbut, William
- Hurst, Fannie, 1889-
- Hüsser, Marie
- Hutton, Anita (Mrs. J. A. Hutton)
- Hutton, Maurice, 1856-
- 16 letters, 1937-1947
With photostat of testamentory letter, June 28, 1930, from Edwin
Markham to Mrs. Hamilton.
Harding, Bertita Carla Camille (Loenarz) de, 1907-
Harré, Thomas Everett, 1884-
Hart, Richard Harry, 1908-
Harvey, John Downey
Harvey, Soffie G.
- 10 letters, 1932-1946
Also three letters, 1945, from her husband, John Downey
Haskell, Juliana Catherine (Shields), 1875-
Hawthorne, Hildegarde (Mrs. Hildegarde Hawthorne Oskison),
Heilner, Adelaide Breese (Dunn) (Mrs. Samuel Heilner)
- 4 letters, 1927
Also signed by Edith Herdegen.
Hertel, Héléne (Mrs. Herbert Hertel)
Hickman, Nance O'Neil (Mrs. Alfred Hickman)
see O'Neil, Nance
Hoagland, Wilhelmina T., employee of Wells Fargo Bank
& Union Trust Co.
Hobart, Alice Tisdale (Nourse) (Mrs. Earle Tisdale), 1882-
Holden, Robert S.
Holly, Flora Mai
Holmes, Edith J., (Mrs. William Olmstead Holmes)
Hoover Library on War, Revolution, & Peace (Stanford
- 5 letters, 1944-1948. Include:
- McMullin, Dare Stark
- Lawson, James R.
Houghton Mifflin Company
- 120 letters, 1933-1939, 1963
Signed chiefly by Dale Warren, Ira Rich Kent and Ferris Greenslet.
- Meier, Mrs. George Philip
- Taylor, Carol
- Farquhar, Samuel T.
- Mifflin, Kent Houghton
- Tappan, Ernest S.
- Reinhardt, Aurelia Henry
- Richardson, Leon J.
- Linscott, R. N.
Howard, Louise, (Mrs. Henry W.)
Howe, Emilie, (Mrs. Perey Howe)
Howe, Perey (Rogers), 1864-?
Howell, John Gibson, 1874-
- 4 letters, 1945-1947
Copy of letter to Senator E. H. Rees.
Howland, Manie Cobb, (Mrs. Hewitt Hanson Howland)
Hunt, H. Lyons
I -- Miscellaneous
- Ingram, Lola (no folder)
- Institut Littéraire Et Artistique De France
- Signed by Le Prince Georges Gréciano, Sec. General,
- International Press Bureau
- Signed by William Gerald Chapman, 1940
- International Rescue & Relief Committee, Inc.
- Signed by Richard Fraser, 1948
- International Who's Who
- International World Who's Who
- Signed by G. G. Sampson, 1946
- Irwin, Wallace
Ina Coolbrith Circle
- Letter and enclosure, Nov. 9, 1946
Letter signed by Marion Cumming with a copy of "Ina Coolbrith's
Tribute to Gertrude Atherton," a paper read Apr. 18, 1929, by her niece,
Ina L. Cook.
J -- Miscellaneous
- Jackson, Eldon (no folder)
- James, Mrs. Juliet Helena (Lumbard), 1864-
- Japanese American Citizens League
- Jarrell, Pearl M.
- Johnson, Mrs. Emilie Louise (Dickey) - Mrs. Oscar Johnson, 1892-
- Jennings, Louis C. (no folder)
- Jerome, Helen (no folder)
- Johnson, Frank S.
- Jones, Joseph W.
- Jordan, R. (no folder)
- Jose, Therese S.
- Juhuke, Ida C. (no folder)
Jackson, Joseph Henry, 1894-
Jonas, Irene Iris
Jones, Fern Rives
Jones, Idwal, 1890-
Jordan, Elizabeth, d. 1947
K -- Miscellaneous
- Kalbfus, Mrs. E. (no folder)
- Kash, Mormie
- Kastor, Robert
- Kauser, Alice
- Kavri, H.
- Kearney, Walter J.
- Keeler, (Mrs. Charles Augustus) Ormeida Curtis, 1875-
- Kerns, Frank W.
- Kerr, Frances Willard
- Kiehl, Arlene
- Kleeman, Mrs. Rita (Sulzbacher) Halle, 1885-
- Klein, Emil (Dr.)
- Klein, Maysie Tuley (Mrs. O. D. Klein)
- Kline, Anne
- Knecht, J. Frederic
- Knight, Jerrie
- Knight, Kemble
- Knott, Helen Dancer (no folder)
- Knowles, Mrs. L. B. (no folder)
- Kobler, Franz, 1882-
- Korda, Alexander
Kahn, Otto Hermann, 1867-1934
- 3 letters, Feb.-Mar. 1927
Includes one cancelled check.
Kaucher, Dorothy Mayberry, 1892-
- 2 letters, Jan. and Mar., 1943
L -- Miscellaneous
- Lancaster, Bruce, 1896-
- 1932, signed by Bruce & Jessie.
- Landauer, Helen Gray (Mrs. Stanley)
- Lane, Mrs. Edith Phelan (no folder)
- Lawlas, John A. (San Quentin Prisoner) (no folder)
- LeFébure, George (no folder)
- Lefler, M. E. (no folder)
- Leggett, William (Ferguson?), 1875-
- Lehman, Benjamin Harrison, 1889-
- Leighton, Etta Veronica, 1880-
- Leo, Brother (Meehan, Francis Joseph Gallagher), 1881-
- Leong, Fee
- Leslie, Hernistic
- LeVeque, Norma
- Levey, M. J. (no folder)
- Lewis, Anne E. Hatton
- Lewis, Hazel Franklin (Mrs. C. E. Lewis)
- Lewis, Sinclair, 1885-1951
- Lieb, Clarence William, 1885-
- Lieker, Mrs. Stella (no folder)
- Lilienthal, Philip N., 1889-
- Lindback, Kay (no folder)
- Lindstedt, Mabel
- Livingstone, Florence Bingham
- Literary Clipping Service
- Lloyd, Frank, (Sidney?), 1897-
- Locher, David A.
- Long, Christian B.
- Long, Fay Fairbanks
- Long, Nonie M.
- Lotos Club
- Luhan, Mabel Dodge, 1879-
- Lyford, Saidee (no folder)
- Lyons, (A & S), Inc.
- 1945, signed by Ned Brown.
Lal, Gobind Behari, 1890-
Langford, Nellie L.
Lapham, Roger Dearborn, 1883-
- 4 letters, 1944-1946
Leaflet and short biographical sketch.
Latham, Harold Strong, vice-president of MacMillan Co.,
Lewellen, Ethel Wood
- 2 letters, 1926
Also signed by Annabelle Wagstaff.
- 2 letters, April and Nov., 1946
Includes a short biographical sketch.
- 8 letters, 1936-1939. Include:
- Graeve, Oscar
- Hanley, Parke
- Oursler, Fulton
Lichtig and Englander, (New York, London &
- 2 letters, 1943 & 1944
Signed by Harry H. Lichtig.
Lippincott, (J. B.) Co.
- 16 letters, 1941-1948. Include:
- Arnold, J. R.
- Bicknell R.
- Fulleman, Edith
- Lippincott, Joseph W.
- Stevens, George
- West, Harry F.
Little, Brown & Co.
- 3 letters, 1945 & 1946
Signed by Anne Ford.
Liveright, Otto K.
Liveright Publishing Co.
- 61 letters, 1922-1946. Include:
- Liveright, Horace
- Pell, Arthur
- Smith, T. R.
Lloyds & National Provincial Foreign Bank Ltd.
London, Charmian (Kittredge), 1883-
Los Angeles Historical Society
- 2 letters, 1943
Signed by Grace A Somerby.
Lyman, George Dunlap, 1882-1949
- Letter and enclosures, 1946
Letter, 1944, from Amy Marsh Cameron (granddaughter of John Marsh)
to Dr. Lyman and notes on the Graham Ranch, Placer Co., included.
Lyon, John Henry Hobart, 1878-
M -- Miscellaneous
- Mac of Atherton H.
- MacAlister, Clifften (no folder)
- Signed by Ruth S. Smyle, 1923
- MacCampbell, Donald
- Letter, Mar. 30, 1936
Written as editor of The Writer [?]. Forwarding note from
Mrs. Atherton and Houghton Mifflin Company.
- McChesney, Mrs. E. K. Birdsall
- McCormick, Mr. & Mrs. James Edward
- Macdonald, John (no folder)
- MacDonald, John (no folder)
- McGettigan, Francisca (Vallejo)
- McGovern, Marjorie (Mrs. John Francis McGovern)
- McGeachie, Mollie (no folder)
- McGrigor, Mrs. Maud (no folder)
- McIntyre, O. O. (no folder)
- MacKenzie, Dorothy
- McKenzie, Pauline
- Mackey, John William
- McMahan, Bernard S.
- McMahon, Llewellyn
- McNary, Louise Tibbetts
- McWilliams, Carey, 1905
- Madden, Lillian (no folder)
- Meerker-Branden, A. Paul
- Magee, David
- 1945 (& notes on bookshop)
- Maher, Marie L. (no folder)
- Maher, Philip J.
- Maine, Raymond (no folder)
- Malone, Ted (Frank Alden Russell), 1908-
- Mann, Thomas, 1875-
- Marbury, Elizabeth, 1856-1933
- Marmur, Jacland, 1901-
- Marshall, Florence
- Marshall, Virginia
- Marsh-Parker, Margaret
- Marston, Mrs. Katherine G. (no folder)
- Martinez, Carmel G.
- Martins, George (no folder)
- Mathis, Mrs. Maude C. (no folder)
- Matthias, Mrs. Russell J.
- Maurice, Arthur Bartlett, 1873-1946
- Maury, Magruder Gordon
- Mayfield, John S., 1904-
- Meconnahey, Joseph H.
- Meier, Nellie Simmons (Mrs. George Philip)
- 2 letters, 1936 and ca. 1940
Letter, 1936 enclosures: "character sketch from
impressions of the [brands?] of Gertrude Atherton."
- Meincke, Ellen Jensen
- Mendell, Mary
- Metropolitan Newspaper Service
- Signed by Maximilian Elser Jr., 1924
- Meyer, Herbert M.
- Mezquida, Anna Blake
- Micheli, Lina
- Millar, Laura B. (no folder)
- Miller, Clay
- Miller, Grace A. (no folder)
- Miller, Margaret E.
- Miller, Mrs. Olive (Kennon (Beaupré) ?)
- Millett, Fred Benjamin, 1890-
- Mills College
- Signed by Elizabeth Gray Potter, Librarian, 1927
- Miner, Anne Parker
- Mitchell, Ruth Comfort (Mrs. Sanborn Young), 1882-1954
- Moller, Jessie Lansing
- Mooney, Helen C. (no folder)
- Moore, Elizabeth (Mrs.) (no folder)
- Moore, Ethel Strouach
- Morey, Charles Rufus, 1877-
- Moriarty, Mrs. Mary Clare Earls (no folder)
- Morris, Amiee Rejnan (no folder)
- Morrison, Angela
- Morrison, Ray
- Also signed by Ross West, 1945
- Murphy, Emily F.
- Murphy, Mabel Ansley, 1870-
- Murray, Gilbert, 1866-
- Signed by S. N. Brown, 1928
- Muyllaert, Remi J. (no folder)
- Myers, Charles
- Myers, M. S.
McCarthy, William Henry, 1877-
McGettigan, Francisca (Vallejo)
McKinstry, C. H.
Masters, Edgar Lee, 1869-1950
- 2 letters, July and Aug., 1943
Maze, Adele Henry
Mears, Eliot Grinnell, 1889-1946
Mertins, Louis (Marshall), 1835-
- 4 letters, 1940. Include:
- Fadiman, William James
- Hogan, Edward
Miller, Hazel Cunningham
Mitchell, O. J.
Moore, Inez (Macondray)
Moore, John G.
- 7 letters, 1944-1948
Three greeting cards, one newspaper clipping, included.
Murray, Sir John, 1884-
- 10 letters, 1927
Copy of corrections for
N -- Miscellaneous
- Nast, Condé, 1874-1942
- National Council of Women
- National Jewish Hospital
- National Woman's Party, Calif. Branch
- Signed by Jennie Scott Griffiths, Sec., 1947
- National Woman's Party, Philadelphia Branch
- Signed by Laura B. Anderson, Chr., 1938
- Neville, William H.
- Newell, Vera M. (no folder)
- Newman, Florence H.
- Newman, Mary E. (no folder)
New York Times
- Signed by Wm. L. Murray, Subscription manager,
- Northrop, Selia Blair (Mrs. William Northrop)
- Nutton, Maurice
Nameny, Grace Westberg
National Academy of American Literature
- 39 letters, 1933-1935
Includes minutes, contracts, summons and letters from The American
Trust Co., John D. Barry, Templeton Crocker, the Division of Labor
Statistics and Law Enforcement, Charles C. Dobie, Dorothy Emerich,
Field-Ernst Envelope Co., Mary Gerber, Carl Holliday (San Jose State
College), James A. Hool, Tom Mead, Mills College, Pacific Coast
Adjustment Co., The Pearl Press, Ralph A. Reynolds (M.D.), California
Dept. Of Education, John L. Tait, U.S. Fidelity and Guaranty Co., U.S.
Post Office at Los Angeles, H. E. Wadsworth, Walter N. Brunt Press,
Thomas B. Webster, Wholesalers Credit Bureau, Inc. and Edward F.
National Broadcasting Co., Marion E. Noyes, Literary Rights
National Institute of Arts and Letters
- 9 letters, 1938-1947
Copy of letter from Mrs. Atherton and copy of speech made by
William Rose Benét.
National League of American Pen Women
- 10 letters, 1924-1945
Written by Mary Bird Clayes, Hazel S. Schreiber, Grace W. Hitt,
Audrey W. Auslander, Grace B. Hedge, Helen Louise Ford, and a list of
"Leading American Women Writers of Today."
National Provincial Bank of England, Ltd.
- 4 letters, 1936-1947
Written by Dorothy Barrett and Isabel D. Morris, letter enclosure
from W. H. Peck and a short sketch of the Newbegin's Bookshop.
Niles, Blair (Mrs. Robert Niles Jr.)
Norman, Gertrude ("Toto")
Norris, Kathleen, 1880-
- 2 letters, [1937 or 1943?]
O -- Miscellaneous
- O'Brien, Betty Shirk (Mrs. W. E. O'Brien)
- O'Connor, Bessie Paschal
- Letter to Mr. Phelan, (1927?)
- O'Donnell, Marian
- Ohleyer, Harold R.
- Oikonomos, Dr. George P.
- Olmstead, Harry C.
- O'Neil, Natolia
- O'Neill, Gordon
- Ording, E.
- Otto, Agnes C.
- Overstreet, Arlien
- 2 letters, Apr. and May, 1943
Also, one copy of letter from Noel Pierce.
- 2 letters, 1945
Signed by Rev. K. E. Wall, Chaplin.
- 2 letters, May and June, 1936
Older, Cora Miranda (Baggerly)
- 2 letters, 1927 and 1947
Also two telegrams, two cards and newspaper clippings.
O'Neal, Elizabeth K.
O'Neil, Nance, 1874-
- 5 letters, 1936-1942
Signed: Nance O'Neil Hickman.
P -- Miscellaneous
- Pagano, Joseph
- Palmer, Kate J.
- Palmer, Olive H.
- Parke, Marjorie Corsan
- Parker, Nessie
- Parkhurst, Charles Henry, 1842-1933
- Parsegan, J. H.
- Parsons, Minena F.
- Parsons, Nan M.
- Partin, Ada Elizabeth
- Patigian, Haig, 1876-
- Pattangall, Jo
- Patterson, Alice D. (Mrs. W. E.) (no folder)
- Patterson, Ethel Lloyd (Lewis)
- Patterson, Miss. G. S. (no folder)
- Patton, Constance H.
- Pearl, Lewis Peter
- Pearson, Isaac A.
- Pendergraft, Allen
- Penney, Ray D.
- Perham, Franklin E.
- Piercy, Pearl & Lee
- Plachek, Vera
- Plunkett, Thomas J.
- Pomeroy, Carmelita Ainsa
- Poeton, Frank (no folder)
- Ponton, Mrs. Murriel S. (no folder)
- Poole, Oliver
- Potter, Cora (Urquhart) (Mrs. James Brown Potter), d. 1936
- Powell, Esther Bently (Mrs. Stanley Powell)
- Powell, Mrs. Alice W. (no folder)
- Preble, Henry
- Preston, Joy Rodney
- Price, Hazel D.
- Price, Noreen Wilton (no folder)
- Prior, Beatrix Von F. C.
- Proctor, Ruby (Mrs. Leo J. Proctor)
- Pruette, Lorine Livingston
Pagan, E. H. C.
Palmer Institute of Authorship
- 2 letters, 1947
Signed by Barton A. Stebbins, President
Paramount Pictures Inc.
- 4 letters, 1940-1946. Include:
- Garvey, Stanley
- Jackson, Alan
- Mealand, Richard
Pavlo, Hattie Mae (Mrs. Emelian L. Pavlo)
- 2 letters, 1946 and 1947
One letter to George D. Lyman and one to Mrs. Atherton.
Pensinger, Fred A.
Personal Book Shop
- 2 letters, 1945. Include:
- Seymour, Gladys
- Wiel, Isabel
Phelan, James Duval, 1861-1930
- 20 letters, 1923-1930
Telegram from Belle Driscoll and Mrs. Atherton's answer included.
Also, newpaper clippings concerning Senator Phelan's death, etc.
Phelps, William Lyon, 1865-1943
Phillips, Mrs. David E.
Pinker, (James B.) & Son, Inc.
- 2 letters, 1927, and telegram signed by Adrienne
Plummer, Jennie T. (Mrs. George E. Plummer)
Poets, Editors, & Novelists (P.E.N.)
- 13 letters, 1934-1947
Letters, newsletters, reports, pamphlets, etc., relating to the
society, Poets, Editors and Novelists, known as P.E.N. Letters signed by
Jane Hudson, Carl Carmer, Lionel Stevenson, Herman Ould, Joseph Joel
Keith and R. P. Hafter and [Charles] Dobie.
Polk, Christine (Mrs. Willis Polk)
Pollock, Channing, 1880-1946
Pollock, Helen Channing
- 13 letters, 1939-1945
Also a letter, Oct. 29, 1946, from her husband, George L.
Porter, Verne Hardin, 1889-
- 29 letters, 1935-1937
Two letters signed by his secretaries.
- Letter, Dec. 17, 1945
With a sketch of Mary Ellen Leary's work.
- 4 letters, 1940-1946. Include:
- Hanrahan, Katherine
- Lacau, Mathilde
- Streiff, Laurel W.
- 4 letters, 1939-1941
Written by Meta Corville and Anna T. Carroll.
R -- Miscellaneous
- Radeker, Scott
- Raggett, May I.
- Rahill, Leo F.
- Ramaswami Aiyar, The Hon. Sir C. P., 1879-
- Ramsey, DeWitt Clinton, 1888-
- Raney, Bill E. (no folder)
- Rashall, Lee, I.N.S. Stationery
- Rath, Virginia
- Ray, Rose Carolyn
- Red Cross, American National, San Francisco Chapter
- From B. Reed Funsten, 1944
- Reed, Theodore S. P.
- Richon, Edward A.
- Rinaldo, Alice
- Roberts, Benjamin Stine
- Robinson, Charles Lummus
- Robinson, Jane E.
- Rodgers, Clarence C.
- Rodman, Eva
- Rolkin, Arline Miller (Mrs. Edward Maximillan Rolkin)
- Roop, Lawrence
- Roos, Robert Achille, 1883-
- Rosenbaum, Miss. H. (no folder)
- Rossi, Angelo Joseph, 1878-
- Rowley, Charles
- Russell, Mattie
Rascoe, (Arthur) Burton, 1892-
Reinhardt, Aurelia (Henry), 1877-1948
- 6 letters, 1933-1942
Copies of letters to James A. Hool and Mrs. E. P. Heald,
Richardson, Leon Josiah, 1868-
- 19 letters, 1934-1946
Also, two letters from Alice Rising, Sept. 1940.
R.K.O. Studios, Inc.
- 3 letters, 1933-1940. Include:
- Bromley, Haworth
- Mackey, Loretta
- Morgan, Jack
Rogers, John William
Romeike Press Clippings
- 4 letters, 1944-1946
Signed by: C. L. Wahl.
Rose, William John, 1885-
Rousey, De Sales, Lily Comtesse de
Row, Arthur William
- 38 letters, 1923-1947
Includes four cards and one telegram.
Russell, Dominga Atherton
- 58 letters, 1925-[1937?]
Includes four cards.
Russell, Muriel Atherton (Mrs. George Russell)
- 67 letters, 1929-1966
Also, three telegrams and fourteen cards.
S -- Miscellaneous
- Sabin, Edwin Legrand, 1870-
- Sacks, Mrs. M. R. (no folder)
- Sacred Heart Convent
- Signed by Sister M. Paula, O. P., (1936?)
- San Francisco Bank
San Francisco Examiner
- Signed by James R. Nourse, 1931
- Santa Fean
- Signed by Alison Dana, 1941
- Signed by Amy Loveman, 1934
- Sargent, Rachel L.
- Saxton, Ed
- Saxton, Ola S. Callahan
- Scheff, Alfred F.
- Schulze, Elden Paul, 1864-1948
- Schultz, Annie
- Schwerin, Lotta Bean
- Schribner, Florence L.
- Selznick International Pictures, Inc.
- Signed by Katherine Brown, 1940
- Searles, Mrs. Wanda (no folder)
- Shaffer, Elizabeth
- Shaw, Mrs. C. C.
- Shelby, C. Levi
- Sherwood, Harvey L.
- Simon, William G.
- Simonov, Konstantine
- Sinclair, Ann Cleveland (Mrs. John A. Sinclair)
- Sinssheimer, Gertrude
- Skidmore, Brenda
- Slade, Florence A.
- Smith, Bernard
- Society of American Historians
- Signed by Douglas Freeman, 1943
- Solomon, Martolde L.
- Sorensen, Docia N.
- Speger, Leonora (Mrs. Edgar Speger)
- Spencer, Agnes W. (no folder)
- Spencer, Edward Buckham Taylor, 1863-1945
- Springer, Frank
- Sproul, Robert Gordon, 1891-
- Stanley, L. L.
- Stave, (George A.) Paper Co.
- Signed by George A. Stave, 1943
- Steete, Bernard J.
- Steinbeck, John Ernst, 1902-
- Steiner, Gretchen
- Stern, Madeleine B.
- Stern, Rosalie M. (Mrs. Sigmund)
- Stevens, Mrs. Helen (no folder)
- Stone, Harry Everette, 1883-
- Striff, Laurel (Mrs. William Peter Streiff)
- Studebaker, Janice
- Sullivan, Frank (Francis John Sullivan), 1892-
- Sullivan, Nöel
- Swanson, Harold Norling, 1899-
- Sweet, Emma Kessler
- Swope, Herbert Bayard, 1882-
Saiz, Clive M.
- 2 letters, 1942-1945, signed by Mary Martin &
San Francisco Art Commission
- 2 letters, Feb. 7 and Aug. 16, 1944
With resolution commending Mrs. Atherton's service. Also, letter
from Dave Barry.
San Francisco. Golden Gate International Exposition,
- 2 letters, 1937 and 1940
Written by Mrs. George T. Cameron, Chairman of the Women's
San Francisco Public Library
San Francisco Women's Chamber of Commerce
- 4 letters, 1939-1946. Include:
- Cooley, Georgia L.
- Dippel, Ann S.
- O'Donnell, Gertrude
Saturday Home Magazine, T. A. Robertson
Schroeder, H. L.
Seawell, Edward Carver
Selby, John (Allen), 1897-
Shippey, Lee, 1884-
- 2 letters, 1936 and 1937
Also, a clipping from the
Los Angeles Times, June
Shipley, Miriam Allen (DeFord), (Mrs. Maynard)
Sinclair, Upton Beall, 1878-
- 7 letters, 1943-1947
Also, two printed articles.
Sloss, Hattie Lina Hecht (Mrs. Marcus Cauffman Sloss)
- 3 letters, 1934-1947
Also, a short autobiographical sketch.
Speiser, Maurice J.
- 2 letters, 1947
Copy of letter from Josef Lukasik.
- 5 letters, 1940-1943, and copy of a letter from Crocker
First National Bank.
Spreckels, Eleanor (Jolliffe), 1872-
- Letter, Feb. 8, [1945?]
With biographical notes for Samuel W. Holladay.
Stevens, Alleece Ulhorn (Mrs. Ashton Stevens), d. 1926
Stevens, Ashton, 1872-
- 15 letters, 1926-1947
Includes six telegrams.
Stevens, Florence Katherine (King)
- 2 letters, May 1948
Also, one clipping from
Editor and Publisher, Apr.
Stevenson, Lionel, 1902-
Stokes (Frederick A.) Company
- 33 letters, 1917-1943. Include:
- Arnold, J. R.
- Chamond, S.
- Donimick, Maynard A.
- Lippencott, J. W.
- Mahoney, T. F.
- Morrow, William
- Stokes, Brett
- Stokes, Frederick A.
- American Foundation for the Blind, Inc.
Stone, Louis D.
Sutro, John A.
- 16 letters, 1933-1958
Also, copies of letters from Ivan von Auw, Jr. and Thomas R.
Swain, George Fillmore, 1857-1931
Symington, Maude Fay
T -- Miscellaneous
- Tanner, Rollin Harvelle, 1874-
- Tarrant, G. K.
- Tatlock, J. G. C.
- Terhune, Albert Payson, 1872-1942
- Thayer, John Adams, 1861-
- Thompson, Dorothy, 1894-
- 1946, mimeographed material
- Thompson, Mary
- Thompson, Uldrick
- Thornburg, S. R.
- Timpson, Leila Ormsley
- Tingle, Lily D.
- Titus, Harriet Black (Mrs. Stevens Titus)
- Tomlinson, Virginia Sullivan
- Tondel, Mrs. Frank P.
- Torreyson, Margaret
- Town Hall Club
- Signed by Adelaide Hawley, 1938
- Travers, J. W.
- Treleaven, O. Clark
- Tubbs, Tallant, 1897-
- Tuckis, Olive R. (Mrs. Joe R.) (no folder)
- Turner, K. (no folder)
- Turner, Mrs. Ronald O.
Taft, Clara Maxwell
Tarbell, Ida Minerva, 1857-1944
- 2 letters, Nov. and Dec., 1938
Theta Sigma Phi
- 5 letters, 1939-1948. Include:
- Morton, Criss Cross
- Kleinhenz, Eleanor Ross
- Kiek, Lucile D.
- Dunn, Betty Hinckle
Tobin, Richard Montgomery, 1866-1952
- 7 letters, 1928-1945
Also, two letters addressed to Mr. Tobin.
Towne, Charles Hanson, 1877-1949
Treadwell, Edward Francis, 1875-
- 2 letters, Apr. 12, 1944
One copy sent to Duell, Sloan and Pearce.
Trevillian, Harold D.
Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation
- 6 letters, 1940-1944. Include:
- Caldwell, Erskine
- Hood, Elizabeth Merrill
- Purdell, Dorothy
U -- Miscellaneous
- Underwood, Lenore V.
- Signed by Antoni Slonimski, 1946
U.S. Library of Congress
- 17 letters, 1942-1944
Letters, memos, etc., by St. George L. Sioussat, Alice L. Parker,
C. L. Bouvé, Joseph Auslander, and Thomas Rolph. A
certificate of acknowledgment for Mrs. Atherton's gift to the Library.
Correspondence between Mrs. Inglis Fletcher and the Library of Congress
regarding their Atherton collection.
U.S. Treasury Department
- 2 letters, 1944. Include:
- Gamble, Ted R.
- Street, Julian, Jr.
Uzzell, Thomas H.
V -- Miscellaneous
- Valle, Jeannie (no folder)
- Van Cleve, Helen, (Mrs. Eric Van Cleve)
- Vanneman, Helen H., (Mrs. R. N. Vanneman)
- Van Rensselaer, Mariana Griswold, (Mrs. Schuyler Van Resselaer), d.
- Vassault, Virgina
- Salutation "Dear Alice" and signed Virginia Vassault,
- Vecke, Victor G., 1857-
- Vernon, Dorothy
- Vierick, George Sylvester, 1884-
- Von Popp, Margaret (Mrs. Carl Von Popp)
Vachell, Horace Annesley
Van Buskirk, Janet O.
Van Vechten, Carl, 1880-
- 18 letters, 1922-1946
Also, two cards, one telegram, newspaper clippings from the
New York Hearld Tribune, Jan. 9, 1938.
W -- Miscellaneous
- Wallace, Mrs. Henry E.
- Wallace, Marion (Jean Merrick)
- Walter, Arlene (no folder)
- Walter, Helen Whitney (no folder)
- Waltman, Mrs. H. A. (no folder)
- Ward, Mary
- Warner Bros. Pictures
- Signed by Irving Deakin, 1940
- Warrington, Marie (no folder)
- Watkins, Eleanor Preston, 1876-
- Watson, Barbara E.
- 1946 & bibliographical sketch
- Weisbaum, Florence
- Wells Fargo Bank & Union Trust Co.
- Signed by Catherine Harroun, 1947
- Welsh, Alex C.
- Welty, Jeanne
- West, George P.
- West, Rebecca, psued.
- Wettach, Beulah (no folder)
- Whaley, Elizabeth I. (Mrs. Charles J. Whaley)
- Wheelock, Annie D.
- Whelan, Anne
- White, Edith
- White, Helen (Mrs. Bolton White)
- White, Mrs. L. V. (no folder)
- White, Mary E. (no folder)
- White, R. E. (Mrs.)
- White, Susan
- Whittemare, Kenneth R.
- Who's Important in Literature
- Wild, Payson S.
- Wilhelm, Edwin (no folder)
- Williams, Blanche Colton, 1879-1944
- Williams, Walter, 1864-1935
- Williams, Wythe, 1831-
- Williamson, Kenneth
- Willis-Berg, Portia (Mrs. L. Rodney Berg)
- Willms, Emilie
- Willoughby, Barret
- Wilson, D. Hood
- Wilson, Edith C.
- Winston, Inez Bush
- Winterich, John Tracy, 1891-
- Wisconsin Library Association
- Signed by: Norman Bassett, 1938
- Witte, William
- Wonser, Fred
- Woodall, Mrs. Robert Baugh
- Woods, Dee, (Mrs. Dever E. Woods)
- Wooten, Lucie Miller, (Mrs. W. H. Wooten)
- World Affairs Council of Northern California
- Signed by Monroe E. Deutsch, 1947
- World Student Service Fund
- Signed by Elizabeth Millar, 1946
- Wren, Anne Jack, written to Mr. Row
- Wright, Frank
- Writers War Committee, Rex Stout, Chr.
- Wulff, F.
Waldroff, Charlotte S.
Watkins, (Anne) Inc.
- 4 letters, 1941-1944
Signed by Jean Macy, Ann Watkins.
Watrous, Paul J.
Weldon, John E.
White, Stewart Edward, 1873-1946
- 3 letters, 1945
Also, a short autobiography.
White, Victor F.
Williams, Henry L.
Williams, John Lauris Blake, 1893-
- 158 letters, 1939-1948
Written as a staff member of D. Appleton-Century Company and
Bobbs-Merrill Publishing Co.
Williams, Marian (Mrs. Roberton F. Williams)
Williams, Roberton F.
Wills, Helen, 1906-
- 2 letters, 1943 & 1946
Signed by Ruth D. Champenois and Lorna Eorrell.
Y -- Miscellaneous
- Yore, Clem, 1875-1936
- Yorker, Eve
- Young, Dorothy
- Young, Hugh Hampton, 1870-1945
- Young, Katherine (Miss) (no folder)
Yarnell, Clayton A.
Young Woman's Christian Association.
Z -- Miscellaneous
Zetzvich, Von (Doctor)
Incomplete and unidentified letters