The records of the Board of State Harbor Commissioners for San Francisco Harbor and its predecessor, the Board of State Harbor
Commissioners, document California's efforts to manage the port of San Francisco. This record group contains 81.5 cubic feet
of textual records, 1062 volumes, and 14 photographic items covering the period 1863-1963.
Chapter 306 of the Statutes of 1863 created the Board of State Harbor Commissioners. The Commission originally consisted of
three Commissioners, one of whom was elected by the electors of the State, the second was elected by the Senate and Assembly,
and the third was elected by the electors of the City and County of San Francisco. Each Commissioner was required file a fifty
thousand dollar bond and oath of office with the California Secretary of State. Upon receipt of their commissions, the Commissioners
controlled the entire San Francisco Bay waterfront extending six hundred feet into the waters of San Francisco Bay.
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives