The White Apron Club Collection consists of an anonymous typescript history of the Club
(1898-1934), eight Minute Books (April 1900-March 1957) and an officers and committee
members list book (1948-1956).
Twenty-four women from the rural Lafayette District west of Lodi organized (1898) a
social group called the White Apron Club in the home of Sarah Woodruff. In addition to
regular monthly meetings, held at the Lafayette Hall from 1907, the Club presented
theatricals, luncheons, socials, whist parties and children's parties for the community.
In 1924 the White Apron Club affiliated with the San Joaquin County Federation of Women's
Clubs and the following year dedicated a new Lafayette Hall at a cost of $7,000 on the
site of their original clubhouse. At that time the organization had a membership of more
than one hundred women, but today (1998) the White Apron Club has fewer than fifteen
members, who range in age from their mid-60s to their 90s.