Scope and Content
Title: San Luis Obsipo County Jail Register,
Date (inclusive): 1912-1913
Collection number: Mss81
Extent: 0.25 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], San Luis Obsipo County Jail Register, Mss81, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
San Luis Obispo county was a "late-blooming" political sub-division. Despite the presence
of a Spanish mission on the site of the county seat, the city of San Luis Obispo was not
incorporated until 1876 and the railroad did not reach the city until 1894. By 1912 San
Luis had a population of 5,000 people.
The first county jail occupied rooms in the San Luis City Hall. This edifice was
completed in 1880. The jail remained in this location during the time represented by the
records in Holt Atherton Special Collections. In 1916 a new concrete jail was constructed
behind the old City Hall when, according to Annie L. Morrison, its predecessor was
considered "utterly unfit."
Scope and Content
This collection of records are contained in a single volume register of prisoners
received in and discharged from San Luis Obispo County Jail, July 1, 1912 -September 30,
1913. The register provides the date on which a prisoner was received, his name and
crime, the arresting officer's name, the name of the sentencing judge, and the date and
by what authority the prisoner is discharged. In some cases, the number of days spent in
jail and jail fines paid are also listed. There is an index to the sixty-two pages of
prisoners in the register.