Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Clara Barton Hospital School of Nursing Collection, 1910-1989
91  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (56.25 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • History of the Organization
  • Scope and Content
  • Subjects

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Clara Barton Hospital School of Nursing Collection,
    Date (inclusive): 1910-1989
    Collection number: 91
    Creator: Barton, Clara
    Extent: Extent: 3 boxes; linear feet
    Repository: Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library. History and Special Collections Division
    University of California, Los Angeles
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-1798
    Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Source of Acquisition/Provenance

    The materials of the Clara Barton Hospital School of Nursing were collected and donated to the UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library by Barbaraetta Jackson Tully on March 27, 1993.

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Information on permission to reproduce, publish or quote is available from the repository.

    Preferred Citation

    When referring to material in this collection, cite as: Clara Barton Hospital School of Nursing Collection, (Ms. Coll. #91), Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, History & Special Collections Division, University of California, Los Angeles.

    History of the Organization

    Biography/Organization History

    The Clara Barton Hospital (CBH), founded in 1903, was one of the oldest in Los Angeles. Located at the corner of Pico and Hope Streets, it began with a capacity of thirteen beds. A training school for nurses was established at the same time. Between the years 1910 and 1975, after a series of additions, relocations, and mergings, the school existed under the name of the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center. The following chronology details the history of the nursing school and its relationships with various other institutions.

    Chronology

    1903 The Clara Barton Hospital was organized in 1903 by H.P. Barton and a few of his associates. Located at the corner of Pico and Hope Streets in Los Angeles, it began operating with a capacity of thirteen beds. A training school for nurses was established at the same time. The institution was given the name "Clara Barton Hospital" because Clara Barton devoted her life to philanthropic work, not because she was the aunt of Dr. H.P. Barton.
    1905 It was soon realized that the small quarters were inadequate and the Deaconess Hospital at 447 South Olive Street was purchased, which had a capacity of 60 beds.
    1910 An annex was added to the hospital, increasing the capacity to 100 beds. A new Nurses' Home was also built at that time.
    1922 The hospital was standardized according to the American College of Surgeons rating and continued as a Class "A" Institution.
    1926 The Clara Barton Hospital and the Hollywood Hospital were amalgamated, and the Clara Barton Hospital facilities, medical staff, and nursing school were moved to the Hollywood location. The name of this new hospital was the Hollywood Clara Barton Memorial Hospital, and the school of nursing was called the Hollywood Clara Barton Memorial School for Nurses.
    1930s During the depression years, the new hospital was considering to announce bankruptcy, but was saved by Mrs. Millicent Olmsted. She envisioned a Presbyterian Hospital to provide medical care to the entire community, and established a trust fund of nearly $750,000 as its beginning.
    1937 Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital-Olmsted Memorial came into existence, leasing the facilities of the Hollywood Clara Barton Memorial. 1944 -The School of Nursing of the Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital was established, with Ruth Esther Feider, A.B., R.N., graduate of UCLA as director.
    1945 The lease for the Hollywood Clara Barton Memorial Hospital was terminated and the facility was purchased by the Board of Trustees.
    1961 A four-story South Wing was completed, adding two beds, a new surgical suite, and a cobalt therapy unit to the institution.
    1975 The Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center opened its 11-story Diagnostic and Treatment Center Tower.
    1989 The Queen of Angels-Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center opens, the result of a merger between the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center and Queen of Angels.

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists of correspondence and printed materials concerning the CBH Alumnae Association, photographs of the CBH nursing school graduates and alumnae, yearbooks from the CBH nursing school, and historical ephemera and clippings concerning the history of the various Los Angeles County hospitals that existed at the same time as CBH and the people associated with it.

    Subjects

    Schools, Nursing --Los Angeles (MeSH)
    Hospitals --Los Angeles (MeSH)