The collection contains four principal elements:
yearbooks, scrapbooks, minute books, and financial records.
The Philomathean Reading Club, a women's club of Stockton, California,
was organized November 17, 1893. Its object was "the cultivation of literary
taste and the promotion of study." When membership had grown to about 300, the
Club established a Philomathean Building Association for the purpose of raising
funds for a club building (1910). By the following year, the Club had raised
enough money to acquire a lot at Hunter and Acacia streets and to hire W.E.
Wood and Son to build a clubhouse on the site. The first meeting in the
completed clubhouse took place on February 9, 1912. The two-story building
contained an upstairs lecture hall/ballroom and downstairs kitchen and meeting
Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as
the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the
Collection open for research.