This collection contains two registers from the New San Diego Hotel dated January 1, 1869-October 15, 1875 and October 15,
1875-August, 31, 1877, each listing guest names and residences.
The New San Diego Hotel property was one of the first two residences in New Town (San Diego) built in 1850 by William Heath
Davis and located at the corner of State and F streets – the other property was the Davis residence, known as the Davis House.
Before beginning operations as the New San Diego Hotel, the property was run by Davis as a rental house. In 1867 it was purchased
for $100 by Alonzo Horton, who then sold the property the following year to Captain Samuel Sumner Dunnells for $1000. Dunnells
remodeled the property and began operating it as the New San Diego Hotel in 1868. Dunnells leased the Hotel to G.G. Bradt
and S.S. Gordon one year later, but remained as the Hotel's proprietor for a number of years. The Hotel was touted as a “first-class
house” and continued operations until 1885.
1.5 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.