Information for Researchers
Title: Oakland (Calif.) harbor postcard,
Collection No: P05-024
Mitchell, Edward H.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (Calif.)
Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, California 94123
Abstract: A single color photomechanical postcard of the Southern Pacific Company's wharf in Oakland's Inner Harbor.
Physical Location: Historic Documents Department
The following are indexing terms related to the description of this collection.
Southern Pacific Railroad Company
Oakland Inner Harbor (Calif.)
Information for Researchers
This collection is open for research.
There are no restrictions based on the condition of this material. However, you should be aware that access to collection
material is always at the discretion of NPS curatorial staff if the condition warrants restricting the access and handling
of the collection items at any time.
Conditions of Use
The San Francisco Maritime NHP possesses physical property rights through ownership of the materials. However, copyright may
reside with the individual or corporate body responsible for the creation of the materials, or with their heirs. It is the
user's responsibility to respect the provisions of the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code).
Permission to reproduce or publish from this collection must be secured by the user from the copyright holders.
[Item title or description including date]. Oakland (Calif.) harbor postcard, P05-024. [Location within collection organization
identified by container number, series number, file unit number, or item number]. Historic Documents Department, San Francisco
Maritime National Historical Park.
Processing and Cataloging
Processed by Charles Miller and completed 4/27/2005.
ANCS+ Catalog No. SAFR 20712.
The collection is cataloged in the National Park Service (NPS) Automated National Catalog System (ANCS+). A portion of the
ANCS+ catalog record can be viewed on the NPS
Museum Collections on the Web Catalog
by searching on the catalog number 20712 at
. Do not include the acronym "SAFR" in the search.
The original Oakland Pier was built in 1863 to handle both the passenger and cargo needs of the Central Pacific Railroad.
In 1869, the pier was extended out to 6,900 feet. On January 7, 1871, the two-mile long "Long Wharf" was opened. Transcontinental
trains ran out to the end of the pier where they met the various sailing ships of the day.
The Original Oakland Pier of railroad trestles was filled in and covered by dirt creating an earth embankment, called the
Oakland Mole. After the opening of the Oakland Mole on January 22, 1882, passengers were moved from the Long Wharf to a new
Oakland Pier at the end of the Mole, while use of the Long Wharf was restricted to freight traffic. The Central Pacific,
later the Southern Pacific, Railroad owned both the Wharf and the Mole.
The Long Wharf ceased handling freight in 1918, and the Mole and the Oakland Pier continued to be used until 1958. The Oakland
Pier itself was demolished in 1966.
The collection was donated to the San Francisco Maritime Museum by E. Wichels, in March 1976. The materials were accessioned
into the National Park Service when the museum was made a unit of Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GOGA-735) and then
were transferred to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park after the establishment of the new park in 1989 (SAFR-1).
Accession number SAFR-00001.
Scope and Content
A single color photomechanical postcard of the Southern Pacific Company's wharf in Oakland's Inner Harbor.
Published by Edward H. Mitchell in 1910, it is captioned "Southern Pacific Co.'s Wharf, Oakland Harbor, California."