Contains administrative records, including correspondence, minutes, and reports of the Board of Directors; financial records,
including statements, treasurers' reports, invoices, and bills; fundraising records, consisting of correspondence with foundations
and individual donors, foundation proposals, and material relating to special events; and program records, consisting of correspondence
with donors and parents of recipient babies, physicians, and other milk banks. Of particular interest are nurses' statistical
and narrative reports, and information and statistics concerning donors and recipients. Also includes articles on breast feeding
research, newspaper clipppings, and a scrapbook with additional clippings, photographs, and other materials. Includes early
correspondence from the Baby Hygiene Committee pertaining to the establishment of the milk bank; records of Auxiliary Mothers'
Milk Bank, a fundraising group that provided volunteer support services; and material on Children's Hospital, where the milk
bank was housed for many years.
Dedicating themselves to the
study of, action on and solution of educational and social problems of communities, the San Francisco branch of the American Association of University Women has enjoyed a long history of committed social action.
In May of 1909, a group of women from the AAUW formed the Certified Milk Fund Committee in order to
raise a fund for providing certified milk for the babies of San Francisco's poor. Aided by local dairies, the committee successfully reduced infant mortality through their city wide drive for uncontaminated
milk. In addition to supplying the milk, the Milk Fund Committee offered instruction in the care and feeding of foster babies.
3 cartons, 1 box, 1 oversize box, 1 scrapbook
(4.0 Linear feet)
Copyright has not been assigned to the California Historical Society. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Research Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of the California Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.