This collection contains library training materials, a few student publications, a school History Book (scrapbook), PTA History
Books, and photographs.
Luther Burbank Junior High School opened in 1955 to serve families residing in the Crocker-Amazon and Visitacion Valley districts
of San Francisco. Classes were temporarily held at Samuel Gompers School at 22nd and Bartlett Streets while a new building
was under construction. The new structure, designed to serve 1,500 students and called "The City's Most Beautiful School,"
opened in the fall of 1957 and was dedicated on April 30, 1959. Named in honor of the renowned botanist and naturalist, the
school was located in a corner of John McLaren Park. After ten years, the school was serving 1,800 students. Burbank became
a middle school in 1978. By 1989, the enrollment was at 900 students. Declining enrollment prompted the school district to
close the school in the spring of 2006. The La Grande Avenue property currently houses the June Jordan School for Equity,
a charter high school, and Excelsior Middle School.
Copyright has been assigned to the San Francisco Public Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
or use photographs must be obtained in writing from the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the
San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items and the copyright.