This collection includes reports, proposals, agenda, minutes, transcripts of public hearings, and other documents pertaining
to development in San Francisco, especially Diamond Heights and the Western Addition, 1948-54; and reports, booklets, and
brochures pertaining to planning in general, 1940-70. Of note in the latter group is the book MEMOS FROM RUSSIA 1969; A STUDY--INDUSTRIALIZATION
OF THE BUILDING PROCESS IN RUSSIA AND ENGLAND, written and illustrated by Bill Caudill and privately printed in 1970 by the
architectural firm Caudill Rowlett Scott.
Harry L. Sanders came to Stanford in 1956 as associate director of planning. In 1960 he became director of planning, the University's
first full-time director; he retired in 1976. In addition to managing the complex development of the campus, Sanders was a
cofounder of the Society of College and University Planning, member of the design team for California State Highway 280, and
planning consultant to Menlo College and Tulane University.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.