The collection contains items from the Balboa Park Protective Association, documenting their efforts for the preservation
of San Diego’s Balboa Park, including project reports, public outreach and meetings.
The Balboa Park Protective Association was formed in 1947, and sought to preserve the prevailing architecture in Balboa Park
while preventing further incursion of peripheral roads, encroachment by other buildings and organizations, and the increased
sprawl of parking lots. The Association worked to subvert the Bartholomew Plan, adopted by the City of San Diego in 1960,
that called for further development of the park. Henri Jacot was a local architect and a member of the Balboa Park Protective
Association. He and his associates lobbied politicians, organized concerned citizens and placed petitions on the ballot in
an effort to enact the desired preservation. The Association succeeded in preventing the incursion of roads called for in
the Bartholomew Plan, but failed in thwarting further development of the park. Other projects battled by the Association included
the relocation of the U.S. Naval Hospital onto Park grounds, and the construction of the Timken Museum building. After the
Association was ended in 1967, its work and efforts were continued by the Committee of 100.