This collection contains information on the American Red Cross and its San Diego Chapter regarding internal operations, fundraising,
recruitment, and various public services.
The American Red Cross (ARC) was founded 1881 in Washington, D.C. by Clara Barton, who visited Europe after the Civil War
and learned of the International Red Cross. She headed the newly-formed ARC for the next 23 years, overseeing its domestic
and international relief efforts which included the provision of nursing services to the United States military during the
Spanish-American War. It was during this time, in 1898, that the San Diego Chapter of the Red Cross was formed, sending lemons
and dried fruit to Cubans held in Spanish concentration camps in Cuba. They were also responsible for collecting donations,
making garments, and shipping carloads of lemons to fever stricken soldiers quarantined at Montauk Point, New York. The San
Diego Chapter was originally organized as a member of the California Red Cross State Association, but with the reorganization
of the American National Red Cross under a congressional charter in 1906, the branch became a chapter of the Pacific Area
office of ARC with headquarters in San Francisco.