The A.A. and A.M. Cantin collection documents approximately fifty-six projects through textual records, drawings and photographs.
The collection is arranged in two series: Office Records and Project Records. The office records include biographical information,
notable projects, and letters of recommendation.
A.A. (Alexander Aimwell) Cantin was born March 4, 1874 and died ca. 1964. He built a number of building on the campus of the
College of Marin, including the Science Building, the first permanent building on campus ( http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/lrc/photos/archive2.html). He is possibly best know for being the lead architect (while working at the firm of Miller and Pflueger) on the twenty-six-story,
Coast Division Building of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company at 140 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA. He
is also known for the number of movie theaters he designed in the 1920s and 1930s. He was received his architectural license
in 1901, and was a member of the AIA, with over forty-eight years of active practice. Of lifelong interest to him was the
design of decorative columns. He was awarded patents for several of his column designs.
1 manuscript box, 2 flat file drawers
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the