Guide to the Katherine Esau Papers
Katherine Esau Papers, 1870-1990 [bulk dates 1935-1987]
Collection number: UArch FacP 23Department of Special Collections
University of California, Santa Barbara
- Processed by:
- Preliminary arrangement and description by Special Collections staff
- Date completed:
- Sept. 30, 2008
- Encoded by:
- A. Demeter
- Cheadle Center for Biodiversity & Ecological Restoration (CCBER)
- Additional archival and research material for Katherine Esau. Per their website, http://ccber.lifesci.ucsb.edu/library/ , they have "over 2,100 photographic prints, negatives, and lantern slides from light microscope slides; collection data; correspondence; publications, reprints" from her research on phloem structure and notebooks. The collection is 18.25 linear feet, not including reprints. Much of their material is still being used in current research but may still be accessed by patrons. For further information, contact CCBER librarian and archivist Laurie Hannah at email@example.com . The collection guide is available online through the Online Archive of California (OAC), at http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt1s20304s/ .
- UCSB Oral History Program
- Katherine Esau Oral History. Katherine Esau: A Life of Achievements (1991). Includes interviews with Katherine Esau, Vernon Cheadle, Ray Evert, and Jennifer A. Thorsch. (OH 3).
- University Archives: Public Information Office
- Biographical files: Esau file contains mostly clippings, news releases. Photo files: contains two photos.
- University Archives: Faculty Papers
- Cheadle Papers: National Science Foundation grant applications and reports for projects conducted with Esau, 1983-1991.
- Botanical Society of America: image collection.
- UC Berkeley. Bancroft Library. Catalogue II of the Regional Oral History Office, 1980-1997. June McCaskill Oral History. Includes information about Katherine Esau.
- UC Berkeley. University Archives. Records of the College of Agriculture, University of California, 1881-1945. One folder in Writings and Speeches, Box 29.
Series I: Biographical
Subseries A: General
Curriculum Vitae and List of Publications, 1985, 1997
Esau's doctoral thesis (original manuscript), c. 1927
Handwritten autobiography of Esau covering period prior to UC Davis, c. 1985
Information and correspondence on Esau's Oral History, 1977-1978
Subseries B: Awards
National Academy of Sciences, bronze medal, n.d.
Faculty Research Lecturer, bronze medal on a blue and gold ribbon, UC Davis, 1964
International Botanical Congress, bronze medal, 1969
National Medal of Science, gold medal in a mahogany box, 1989
American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1939
American Philosophical Society, membership statement, n.d.
Botanical Society, Certificate of Merit, 1956
National Academy of Sciences, 1957
National Medal of Science, 1989
Ph.D. Diploma, U.C. Berkeley, 1931
Regia Academia Scientiarium (3 copies), n.d.
Sigma XI, 1932
Awards, recognitions, dedications, 1966, 1971, 1989, 1991
Ladies Home Journal article: 75 Most Important Women in America, Jan. 1971
Mills College honorary doctoral diploma, June 10, 1962
Series II: Academic
Biology 118: Final Exam, 1938
Biology 12hf: Laboratory exercises, ca. 1935
Botanical Society Fourth Summer Institute for College Teachers of Botany (Washington State University), 1961
Summaries of dissertations reviewed by Esau, 1952-1962
Series III: Publications and Lectures
Book reviews, 1969-1985
Reviews by Esau for the Journal of Ultrastructure Research, 1982-1983
Slides for a talk presented by Esau at UC Davis in honor of the Davis centennial birthday, 1984
"The Stelar Anatomy of the Lepidodendrales," lecture, c. 1940
Series IV: Research
"Advanced Morphology" notes (Professor Bailey, Harvard), 1937-1938
Botany notebook, c. 1953
Metcalfe, C. R.: correspondence, 1967-1983
Metcalfe, C. R.: research, 1972-1981
National Science Foundation grant research project: "Normal and Pathological Anatomy of Vascular Tissues in Plants" (4 notebooks)
Notebook 1, June 3, 1960-Nov. 18, 1968
Notebook 2, Sep. 20, 1968-Oct. 25, 1973
Notebook 3, Jan. 2, 1975-Jan. 31, 1980
Notebook 4, Nov. 4, 1978-Feb. 28, 1987
"Plant Histology" notes (Professor Bailey, Harvard), 1936
Virus book, manuscript, c. 1985
Series V: Professional Correspondence
Subseries A: Subject Files
Encyclopedia Americana, 1983
Encyclopedia Britannica, 1965
Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1962-1982
Inquiries and replies, 1975-1985
Loans and research, 1982-1988
Magyarosy, A. C., 1978-1985
National Academy of Sciences, 1978-1985
No response or refusals, 1975-1985
Requests for the use of Esau's research for articles and lectures, 1965-1982
Requests for the use of Esau's research in texts, 1960-1982
Shah, J. J., 1981-1982
Shepardson, S., 1978-1980
Verlag, Fischer, 1963-1968
Virus book, 1985-1987
Subseries B: Chronological Files
Hermans lawsuit, 1978-1980
Series VI: Family
Subseries A: Subject Files
Esau and her mother, 1954
Esau's parents' letters, 1882-1955
"Henry-Karbe-Schutte Briefe", c. 1920-1940
Personal family, 1955
Genealogy notes on the Esau family, n.d.
Important family documents (i.e. photocopies of naturalization papers, birth certificates, etc.), 1885-1981
Information regarding the death of Esau's parents, 1940, 1955
Newspaper clippings: Spreckles, 1984
Notes on Russia: Mennonites, n.d.
Photos: Esau family, friends
Russian art memorabilia, n.d.
Scrapbook: John Esau (1859-1941, K. Esau's father), n.d.
Subseries B: Paul Esau
Scope and Content Note
Newspaper clippings, 1986-1989
Offprints, 1933, 1956-1966
Esau family and friends, c. 1900-1920
World War I
German army in Russia
German army, "Westfront"
Photos: family, colleagues, places, postcards (Paul Esau), c. 1920s
Series VII: Confidential Files: Correspondence
Subseries A: Recommendations and References
Subseries B: Reviews
Journal of Ultrastructure Research reviews, 1984-1987
National Science Foundation proposal reviews, 1973-1976
Manuscript reviews, 1971-1981