Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the San Diego and Coronado Ferry Collection
MS-0200  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (78.35 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: San Diego and Coronado Ferry Collection
    Dates: 1907-1937
    Identification: MS-0200
    Creator: San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company
    Physical Description: 3.20 linear ft
    Repository: Special Collections & University Archives
    5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
    San Diego, CA, 92182-8050
    URL: http://library.sdsu.edu/scua
    Email: scref@rohan.sdsu.edu
    Phone: 619-594-6791

    Historical Note:

    The San Diego and Coronado Ferry Company provided ferry service for pedestrians and vehicles from San Diego to North Island and Coronado. It was incorporated by H. L. Story and Elijah S. Babcock on April 14, 1886 and was a subsidiary of the Coronado Beach Company. The company's first function was to transport workers building the Hotel del Coronado and to promote the development of the island as a health resort and spa.
    The company terminated service on August 2, 1969 at 11:59 p.m. The Coronado Bridge officially opened one minute later. The last owners of the company, a firm owned by Jesse L. Haugh, bought it from previous owner John D. Spreckels, who had taken it over from Story and Babcock. At the time of its closing, the ferry company was a subsidiary of the San Diego Transit System and a partner to the San Diego Electric Railway.

    Access Terms

    This collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Organizational Records

    Topical Term:

    Ferries -- California -- San Diego Bay
    Local transit -- California -- San Diego County

    Administrative Information

    Conditions Governing Use:

    The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.  Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation:

    Identification of item, folder title, box number, San Diego and Coronado Ferry Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, Library and Information Access, San Diego State University.

    Related Materials:

    Hotel del Coronado Collection

    Scope and Contents

    The small San Diego and Coronado Ferry Collection consists of five items, and documents selected financial operations of the company from early in its long history. It consists of three financial ledgers, one report, and one broadside. The first ledger dates from 1907 to 1916 and includes detailed information on capital, payrolls, expenses, dividends, cash charges, and taxes. Part of this ledger is devoted to bookkeeping for specific jobs and projects, such as "Coronado Turnstile," "Painting the Steamer Ramona," and "New Safety Gates." The second ledger dates from 1920-1935 and is organized much like the first. These ledgers give a clear record of the company's priorities over several owners, and provide useful information on partnerships with local companies for infrastructure, improvements based on customer needs, and problems arising from the company's growth and expansion. This financial picture of the company's activities is supported by a 1924 valuation report which offers considerable detail about revenues and expenditures. The broadside, showing tariffs for bay passage in 1910, documents the transportation habits of people and companies in the growing city.
    A third ledger, dating from 1935-1937, documents the financial activities of a partner business, the "Exposition Transportation Company," which existed solely to serve visitors to the California-Pacific Exposition in Balboa Park during those years. It offered luxury and charter bus tours of the city, rollerchairs and rickshaws on the grounds of the Exposition, and transportation to other local stations of transit (including the Ferry Company terminal) for tourists. The ledger details revenue and expenses, taxes, assets, and liabilities of this short-lived but active company.