Stanford materials in this collection, 1893-1906, include student application materials, notes from a lecture series by Rev.
Charles R. Brown, class papers and exams, letters regarding his teaching position at Stanford, his Stanford diplomas, invitation
from Jane L. Stanford (1905), and three photographs of the quad. Other papers include correspondence, 1907-1918; Cox's tribute
to John Maxson Stillman; report written while director of the Bureau of Science in the Philippines, 1917; and a teaching certificate
for Mary Amelia Barnett (Mrs. Alvin C. Cox), 1903.
Alvin Joseph Cox earned his a.b., 1901, and M.A., 1902, at Stanford and his Ph.D. in chemistry at the University of Breslau,
Germany, 1904. He was an instructor in the Dept. of Chemistry at Stanford from 1901-1907 (on leave 1902-04). He then became
a chemist for the Philippine government's Bureau of Science, serving as chief of the chemical laboratory and then director
of the Bureau (1914-19). He returned to San Francisco where he was a consulting chemist; in 1931 he joined the state agriculture
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/depts/spc/pubserv/permissions.html.
This collection is open for research.