The Dept. of Parks and Recreation was originally named the Dept. of Natural Resources when first created in 1927. The records
of the Dept. of Parks and Recreation consist of fifty-two cubic feet and include thirty maps covering the years 1907 to 2003,
with the bulk of the records covering 1929 to 1991.
The Dept. of Parks and Recreation was originally named the Dept. of Natural Resources when first created in 1927 by Chapter
128. The bill also allowed for a new Division of Parks to be established within the department. The Legislature introduced
three more park-related bills that same year. Chapter 763 created the state's first State Park Commission with executive and
administrative authority over the state park program. Chapter 764 provided for a survey of potential park areas for acquisition
as state parks. Chapter 765 provided for the submission of a $6 million bond issue that would provide funds for state park
acquisition purposes. According to Chapter 765, each dollar of state funds would have to be matched by funds or land from
local or private sources before acquisition could proceed. Governor C. C. Young signed the bills in May 1927. The State Park
Bond Act passed in the 1928 general election.
52 cubic feet including 30 maps
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
Collection is open for research.