The Travelers Aid Society of San Diego Records document the branch's activities and service to travelers arriving in and passing through San Diego via automobiles, trains,
boats, and planes. Though there is steady coverage from 1914 through 1976, there is somewhat more material from the late 1960s
and early 1970s. Materials from the early 1920s are somewhat lacking. The collection consists of newspaper clippings, promotional
materials, correspondence, office records, reports, case histories, photographs, and scrapbooks.
The Travelers Aid Society of San Diego was formed in 1914 as a non-sectarian, protective organization incorporated under the
laws of the State of California to safeguard travelers, particularly women, girls, and boys, who by reason of inexperience,
ignorance, illness, infirmity, or other disability, are in need of assistance while traveling. At the time of its founding,
its aim was to provide information, advice, guidance, and protection to all travelers irrespective of age, race, creed, class,
or sex. Women workers knowing multiple languages were employed by the Society to meet trains and steamers coming into the
city to aid and conduct inexperienced or confused travelers at any hour of the day or night to their destination within the
city, or to find transportation to other points. When necessary, the Society provided temporarily for the traveler through
an investigated list of homes, institutions, boarding houses, and hotels. This mission continues unchanged to the present
day; further modes of travel are accommodated, and general enhanced social service referral is also practiced.
The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature
of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine.
Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish
must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. Permissions
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available
for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including
but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
This collection is open for research.