This collection documents over 100 years of Congregation Beth Israel's history from shortly after its founding. It is divided
into six series: Corporate, Administrative, and Financial; Congregational Materials; Marriage Licenses; Salem Cemetery; Cornerstone;
Beth Israel was founded in 1860 as the first conservative congregation west of Chicago. Its first building was on Sutter
near Stockton. The congregation was in its fourth building at Geary and Octavia at the time of the 1906 earthquake. The
cornerstone had been laid for a new building at 1839 Geary near Fillmore in 1905. The construction was almost complete when
it was destroyed in the quake. After rebuilding at the same site they moved into their fifth and final building in 1908.
The temple offices and religious school moved to 14th and Balboa in 1948. In 1969 Beth Israel and Temple Judea, a young Reform
congregation, merged and moved into Temple Judea's buildings on Brotherhood Way. This was one of the first mergers between
a Conservative and a Reform congregation. The cornerstone of the final Geary Street building and the contents of the enclosed
time capsule were recovered when the building was dismantled in 1989, after a fire.
Number of containers: 2 cartons, 3 oversize boxes, 5 volumes, and 2 oversize folders
(Linear feet: 3.7)
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Head
of Public Services, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 94720-6000. Consent is given on behalf of The
Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission from the copyright
owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. See: http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/reference/permissions.html.
Collection is open for research.