Inventory of the Paul K. Stumpf Slides of the University of California, Davis and Davis, California,

Sara Gunasekara
Department of Special Collections
General Library
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616-5292
Phone: (530) 752-1621
Fax: (530) 754-5758
Email: speccoll@ucdavis.edu
© 2009
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.


Creator: Stumpf, Paul K. (Paul Karl), 1919-
Title: Paul K. Stumpf Slides of the University of California, Davis and Davis, California
Date (inclusive): circa 1960-1990
Extent: 0.2 linear feet
Abstract: Paul K. Stumpf (1919-2007) served as Professor of Biochemistry at the University of California, Davis from 1959-1984. While serving as a member of the Campus Building Committee during the 1960s, he photographed construction of various buildings on campus. These slides are part of a slide show that Stumpf assembled in 1990 to illustrate the "then and now" images of the University of California, Davis campus. Several images of the city of Davis are present. Scripts and audiocassettes of the slide show are included.
Physical location: Researchers should contact Special Collections to request collections, as many are stored offsite.
Repository: University of California, Davis. General Library. Dept. of Special Collections.
Davis, California 95616-5292
Collection number: MC107
Language of Material: Collection materials in English.

Biography

Paul Karl Stumpf (1919-2007) received his B.A. degree in 1941 from Harvard College and his Ph.D. in biochemistry from Columbia University in 1945. After eighteen months at the School of Public Health at the University of Michigan as an instructor, he accepted an appointment at the University of California at Berkeley as an assistant professor of plant nutrition. After ten years on the Berkeley campus, where he rose to the rank of professor of agricultural chemistry and chair of that department, he transferred to the Davis campus to establish a new department of Biochemistry and Biophysics in 1959.
Stumpf was interested in campus planning and served on the Campus Building Committee during the 1960s. After his retirement in 1984, Stumpf served as the founding president of the UC Davis Emeriti Association.
He passed away on February 10, 2007.
Source:
Conn, Eric E., Dahmus, Michael E., and Lagarias, J. Clark. "Paul K. Stumpf." In Memoriam, University of California Academic Senate web site.   Accessed 15 January 2009.

Scope and Content

These slides are part of a slide show that Stumpf assembled in 1990 to illustrate the "then and now" images of the University of California, Davis campus. Buildings represented in the collection include: the Memorial Union, Kerr Hall, Wellman Hall, Olson Hall, Sproul Hall, the Law School (King Hall), the Engineering complex, the Chemistry complex, Storer Hall, and Briggs Hall, among others. Stumpf took photographs of these construction sites before, during, and after construction. Several images of the city of Davis are present. Scripts and audiocassettes of the slide show are included.

Arrangement of the Collection

The slides are arranged in Stumpf's order and were set up to show in a "then and now" sequence of images.

Indexing Terms

The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Stumpf, Paul K. (Paul Karl), 1919--Archives
University of California, Davis--History
University of California, Davis--Buildings--Pictorial works
Davis (Calif.)--History

Access

Collection is open for research.

Acquisition Information

Transferred from University Communications in 2009.

Processing Information

Sara Gunasekara processed these papers and created and encoded this finding aid.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Paul K. Stumpf Slides of the University of California, Davis and Davis, California, MC107, Department of Special Collections, General Library, University of California, Davis.

Publication Rights

Copyright is protected by the copyright law, chapter 17, of the U.S. Code. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Department of Special Collections, General Library, University of California, Davis as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

Collection Contents

Box MC107

Downtown Davis, 1963 (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Downtown Davis Now, 1990 (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Downtown Davis, looking northeast on G Street 1963

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Downtown Davis, looking northeast on G Street 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Downtown Davis, looking northwest on G Street, plaza 1963

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Downtown Davis, looking northwest on G Street, plaza 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The corner of G and Third Streets, looking southwest 1963

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The corner of G and Third Streets, looking southwest 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

A view of Second Street looking east 1963

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

A view of Second Street looking east 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The corner of E and Second Streets 1963

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The corner of E and Second Streets 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Russell Boulevard (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

The corner of Russell Boulevard and Anderson Road circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The corner of Russell Boulevard and Anderson Road circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

University Mall construction circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

University Mall circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Russell Boulevard, looking east circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Russell Boulevard, looking east circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Russell Boulevard, reconstructed circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Russell Boulevard, reconstructed circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Looking due east further along Russell Boulevard circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek development (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Putah Creek circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek reconstruction circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek, looking through the bridge due east circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek, looking through the bridge due east 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek, Mrak Hall in the distance circa 1966

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

View across Putah Creek, looking north circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

View across Putah Creek, looking north circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek development circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Putah Creek reconstruction circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Excavation of Lake Spafford circa 1968

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Completed lake project 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Further construction of the lake circa 1968

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Completed lake project circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Construction of the channel and the lake circa 1968

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Completed project circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Wyatt Relocation (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Wyatt Pavilion before relocation circa 1964

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Site after relocation? circa 1964

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Wyatt Pavilion at its new site circa 1964

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

A view of the Wyatt Pavilion taken from the top floor of Mrak Hall circa 1964-1966

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Wyatt Pavilion before relocation circa 1964

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Wyatt pavilion, aerial view circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Chemistry Building (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Site before Chemistry Building is built circa 1964

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Chemistry Building with seed storage building in the background circa 1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Chemistry Building circa 1990

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Law School and Mrak Hall (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Site before Law School (King Hall) is built circa 1965-1967

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Law School (King Hall) circa 1968

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Law School (King Hall) circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Central Campus (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Horticulture Building circa 1966

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Wellman Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Memorial Union circa 1960-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Memorial Union circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Memorial Union with Freeborn Hall circa 1962-1964

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Memorial Union with Freeborn Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

A view from Hutchison Hall looking due east circa 1964

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

View of holes for the foundations of Kerr Hall and Wellman Hall circa 1968

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Site before Kerr Hall is built circa 1965-1967

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Kerr Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Temporary buildings east of the Library, looking due south circa

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Library, southeast view circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Olson Hall and the initial construction of the bicycle underpass circa 1966

Physical Description: 3 slides
Box MC107

Bridge over bicycle underpass circa 1990

Physical Description: 3 slides
Box MC107

Everson Hall in the distance, view to the southwest circa 1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Everson Hall in the distance, view to the southwest circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The remains of the old viticulture building circa 1964-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Sproul Hall with the construction of Olson Hall as well as the Fine Arts Building circa 1964-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Demolition of the old viticulture building circa 1964-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Olson Hall and Sproul Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Engineering Building (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Construction of the Engineering Building circa 1964-1965

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The Engineering Building circa 1990

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Recreation Hall (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Site of Recreation Hall before construction circa 1974-1975

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Recreation Hall circa 1977-1980

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Storer Hall and Briggs Hall (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Hutchison Hall all alone circa 1964-1967

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Hutchison Hall and Storer Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Site prior to Briggs Hall construction circa 1966-1970

Physical Description: 5 slides
Box MC107

Briggs Hall, completed circa 1971

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Briggs Hall circa 1990

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

Medical School (Introduction) undated

Physical Description: 2 slides
Box MC107

The Veterinary Hospital, looking south undated

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

The Medical School area, looking south undated

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Backyard of Stumpf residence showing snowfall circa 1970s

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Water tower undated

Physical Description: 1 slide
Box MC107

Script for slide show 1990 March 12

Box MC107

Audiocassettes of slide show 1990

Physical Description: 3 audiocassettes