Walter K. Fisher was educated at Stanford University, earning 3 degrees in zoology: A.B. 1901, A.M. 1903, and Ph.D. 1906.
He joined the Stanford faculty in 1902 as assistant in zoology, becoming an instructor in 1907, assistant professor in 1909,
and professor of biology in 1925. He was Director of the Hopkins Marine Station from 1917 until his retirement in 1943. Although
he specialized in invertebrates, he was also known for his work in ornithology.