Guide to "Harry Sanders; a Stanford planner Charts the History of Campus planning, and Church's Contribution" SCM0131

Finding aid prepared by Daniel Hartwig
Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives
Stanford University Libraries.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, California, 94305
Repository email: speccollref@stanford.edu
May 2011


Title: "Harry Sanders; a Stanford Planner Charts the History of Campus Planning, and Church's Contribution"
Identifier/Call Number: SCM0131
Contributing Institution: Dept. of Special Collections & University Archives
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 1.0 folder(s)
Date: 1978
creator: Riess, Suzanne B.
creator: Riess, Suzanne B.

Scope and Contents note

This interview largely concerns Thomas D. Church's role in Stanford's architecture and planning; other subjects include Frederic Law Olmsted at Stanford, major elements of campus architecture as it was in 1978, use of outside architects, and future development.

Biographical/Historical note

Harry L. Sanders was the first full-time director of planning at Stanford University. He joined the Planning Office in 1956, was appointed director in 1960, and retired in 1976; during his tenure, Stanford experienced its greatest period of development since its opening in 1891. Thomas D. Church, a prominent landscape architect in the San Francisco Bay Area, was the landscape consultant for Stanford University and a member of its Architectural Advisory Council.

General note

Photocopy of one chapter from Volume II of Riess' THOMAS CHURCH, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT; Regional Oral History Office, Bancroft Library, University of California, 1978.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Church, Thomas Dolliver.
Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903
Sanders, Harry L.
Stanford University. -- General subdivision--Buildings.;
Stanford University.. Planning Office..
Interviews.

Box 1

Papers