Collection Scope and Contents
Title: San Bernardino County, California collection
Date (inclusive): circa 1892-2003, undated
Date (bulk): 1950-2000
Collection Number: MS 092
3.5 Linear Feet
Rivera Library. Special Collections Department.
Abstract: The San Bernardino County, California
collection contains press clippings, correspondence, brochures, maps, and other material
pertaining to the history, culture, tourism, and local communities of the county. Material
related to heritage sites, cultural institutions, natural landmarks, residential life, and
tourist attractions are included. The county of San Bernardino was officially created on
April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles, San Diego and Mariposa Counties. The city of San
Bernardino was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
Languages: The collection is in English.
This collection is open for research.
Copyright Unknown: Some materials in these collections may be
protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction,
and/or commercial use, of some materials may be restricted by gift or purchase agreements,
donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing agreement(s), and/or trademark
rights. Distribution or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed
by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. To the extent other
restrictions apply, permission for distribution or reproduction from the applicable rights
holder is also required. Responsibility for obtaining permissions, and for any use rests
exclusively with the user.
[identification of item], [date if possible]. San Bernardino County, California collection
(MS 092). Special Collections & University Archives, University of California,
Processed by Juliana Schouest and Sara Seltzer, 2008.
Explorations of the San Bernardino area began in the 1770s and continued into the
nineteenth century. In 1810, Franciscan missionary Francisco Dumatz, of the San Gabriel
Mission, named the San Bernardino valley in observance of the feast day of Saint Bernardine
of Siena. Later in the century, the county was used for gold and silver mining, as well as
the agricultural development of citrus fruit. The county of San Bernardino was officially
created on April 26, 1853 from parts of Los Angeles, San Diego and Mariposa Counties. The
city of San Bernardino was incorporated as the county seat in 1854.
Collection Scope and Contents
The San Bernardino County, California collection contains press clippings, correspondence,
brochures, maps, and other material pertaining to the history, culture, tourism, and local
communities of the county. Select media publications include local newspapers and magazines
discussing cultural events, community life, and historical information. Ephemera pertaining
to tourism in the county primarily relates to Joshua Tree National Park, surrounding
campgrounds, and the desert communities of Twentynine Palms and Yucca Valley.
This collection is arranged into three series as follows:
- Series 1. County History and Culture, circa 1892-1996, undated
- Series 2. Local News, 1942-2000
- Series 3. Tourism and Recreation, 1948-2003, undated
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Joshua Tree National Park (Calif.).
San Bernardino County (Calif.).
Twentynine Palms (Calif.).
Yucca Valley (Calif.).
Genres and Forms of Materials
Clippings (information artifacts).