The Cooper Ornithological Society was founded in 1893, and was named after the zoologist James G. Cooper. The collection contains
3 volumes of incoming correspondence from various ornithologists to Frank Slater Daggett, the accessions records of the Dickey
Ornithological Library, and the specimen catalogs and field notes of Daggett and Wright M. Pierce who were both active members
in the society.
The Cooper Ornithological Society Southern Division was founded in Los Angeles in 1893 by a small group of individuals in
southern California who were interested in the study of birds. The society was named after Dr. James G. Cooper, zoologist
and avid bird collector. To facilitate communication between members, the society developed a publication called The Condor,
which is still in existence today. One of the society's most active members was Frank Slater Dagett, who served as the society's
vice president from 1898-1900 and president from 1901-1903. The bird species Sphyrapicus varius dagetti is named after him.
He was an avid bird collector who amassed a collection of approximately 8,009 bird skins. Wright M. Pierce was also a prominent
member of the Cooper Ornithological Society Southern Division who served on the society's board of governors for many years.
3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UC Regents. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the
creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright
owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.
Open for research. STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library
Special Collections for paging information.