Brief University History
Scope and Content
University of California, Davis
Title: University Archives Photographs
Date (inclusive): 1914-1980
9.8 linear feet
1070 digital images
Abstract: The University Archives Photographs offer a visual record of the history of the
University of California, Davis. The collection contains photographic prints and negatives, and depicts
buildings and grounds, faculty and staff, annual events such as Picnic Day, campus events, classes and
classrooms, student clubs and activities, departments, and sporting events.
Physical location: Researchers should contact Special Collections to request collections, as
many are stored offsite.
University of California, Davis. General Library. Dept. of Special Collections.
Davis, California 95616-5292
Collection number: AR-013
Language of Material: Collection materials in English.
Brief University History
The University of California, Davis campus, originally known as the University Farm, was established by an
act of the State Legislature in 1905.
A committee appointed by the Regents purchased land near Davisville in 1906. The Regents officially took
control of the property in September 1906 and constructed four buildings in 1907. By 1930, the campus had
grown to 1,000 acres and by 1951, it had become 3,000 acres. In 2007, the campus has expanded to 5,300
acres, making it the largest UC campus in acreage.
Short courses were first offered in 1908 and a three year non-degree program set up in 1909. In 1911, the
first class graduated from the University Farm. The three year non-degree program continued until 1923. At
that time, a two year non-degree program began and continued until 1958. In 1922, a four year undergraduate
program began with the first class graduating in 1926.
In 1959, the Regents declared that Davis was to be a general campus of the University and in 1962, the
College of Engineering was established. Davis' own Graduate Division was established in 1961. The School of
Veterinary Medicine was established in 1946 and received its first students in 1948. The Law School opened
for classes in Fall 1966 and the School of Medicine began instruction in Fall 1968.
For further information, see the history of the University as described in
Harvest: The History of the University of California, Davis,
by Ann Scheuring. Davis: The Regents
of the University of California, 2001 and
The Centennial Record of the University
by Verne A. Stadtman. Berkeley: UC Printing Department, 1967.
Scope and Content
The University Archives Photographs offer a visual record of the history of the University of California,
Davis. The collection contains photographic prints and negatives, and depicts buildings and grounds, faculty
and staff, annual events such as Picnic Day, campus events, classes and classrooms, student clubs and
activities, departments, and sporting events.
Arrangement of the Collection
The images in the University Archives Photographs Collection are arranged in 11 series: 1. Buildings and
Grounds, 2. Administrators, Faculty and Staff, 3. Annual Events, 4. Picnic Day, 5. Campus Events, 6.
Classrooms, Lecture Halls, and Classes, 7. Miscellaneous, 8. Student Clubs and Activities, 9.
Departments, 10. Sports, and 11. University Farm.
Series 1, Series 2, Series 3, Series 4, Series 5, Series 8, Series 9, and Series 10 are the only ones
represented on the Online Archive of California at this time. The additional series are available in the
Special Collections Reading Room and will be made accessible on the Online Archive of California over
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online
public access catalog.
University of California,
University of California, Davis--History
University of California, Davis--Pictorial
University of California, Davis--Faculty
University of California, Davis--Buildings--Pictorial works
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], University Archives Photographs, AR-013, Department of Special Collections,
General Library, University of California, Davis.
Copyright is protected by the copyright law, chapter 17, of the U.S. Code. All requests for permission to
publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections.
Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Department of Special Collections, General Library,
University of California, Davis as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.