The collection consists of materials on the San Diego Presidio and its development into Presidio Park, including narratives,
visitor information, and documents on the Presidio Park Excavation Project.
Presidio Park is the historical landmark of the birth of the mission system and first European settlement on the west coast
of the United States. On July 16, 1769, Father Junipero Serra erected a cross and held the first mass on Presidio Hill establishing
the site of Mission San Diego de Alcala. By the late 1830s, the site was abandoned and left in ruin. In 1907, George W. Marston,
a pioneer San Diego civic leader and philanthropist, and a group of friends recognized the need to preserve Presidio Hill
and purchased the site. Marston oversaw construction at Presidio Hill, creating Presidio Park and the Serra Museum. On July
16, 1929, Marston presented Presidio Park as a gift to the City of San Diego and the Serra Museum as a gift to the San Diego