This collection is comprised of administrative records, organizational papers and history, meeting minutes, correspondence,
clippings, written essays and poems, and photographs created and collected by The Willows Reading and Study Club. The records
have been kept by The Willows Reading and Study Club.
The Willows Reading and Study Club was established in 1896 and is one of the oldest organizations in the Santa Clara Valley.
It changed its name to Willows Reading and Study Club in 1917. "Willows" in the club's title refers to the Willows neigborhood,
later known as Willow Glen. The club's purpose, stated in its 1900 constitution, is "for the mutual improvement and culture
of its members through reading of good books, the discussion of questions of general interest and importance and the study
of parlaimentary law." While initially the club was organized as an improvement club for the Willows, it became a reading
and study club after "men in the community" organized an "Improvement Club."
2.71 linear feet
Although San José Public Library's California Room does physcially own all archival materials in its possession, it does not
necessarily own the intellectual property rights (copyright) associated with all items (Title 17, Chapter 2, Section 202,
"Ownership of copyright as distinct from ownership of material object). Publishing materials from our holdings requires written
permission from the San José Public Library, along with proper credit given to our institution. For permission to publish
or reproduce, please contact the Lead Librarian of the California Room. Users may reproduce materials for teaching, research,
and private study in accordance with fair use on the condition that they give proper credit to the California Room, San José
Collection is open for research.