The Cerro Portezuelo Archives is a result of excavations conducted by George Brainerd in 1954 and 1955 and by H. B. Nicholson
in 1957. The site is located near the ancient shores of Lake Texcoco in Central Mexico (now Mexico City) and spans the Classic
to Post-Classic time periods (A.D. 350 - 1500). The city began during the florescence of the larger nearby city of Teotihuacan
but survived long after Teotihuacan's fall and into the Aztec Empire. This collection's ceramic objects represent the most
complete and unbroken sequence for the region, making it an invaluable research tool for understanding the turbulent political
and social climate during Mesoamerican times. The objects held in the Archaeology Collections Facility includes ceramics,
spindle whorls, figurines, stamps, chipped stone, ancestral burials, and memorial objects. Collection documentation include
an inventory, maps, photographs and negatives, artifact descriptions and analysis, field notes, correspondence, burial accession
records, progress reports, and a published report co-authored by Frederic Hicks and H.B. Nicholson.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Registrar. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the UCLA Fowler Museum of Cultural History as the owner of the physical items and is
not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.