Scope and Contents
Language of Material:
SJSU Special Collections & Archives
Title: East Palo Alto Women's Club Records
Identifier/Call Number: MSS.2010.02.08
3.75 Linear Feet
Date (inclusive): 1917-1995
Date (bulk): bulk
Abstract: The East Palo Alto Women's Club Records consists of administrative records and artifacts documenting the club's activities
Language of Material: Languages represented in the collection: English
The collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jose State University Library Special Collections and Archives. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections and Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions
also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational
East Palo Alto Women's Club Records, MSS-2010-02-08, San Jose State University Library Special Collections and Archives.
Collection processed by Kimberly Koshiyama. EAD encoding by Kimberly Koshiyama.
The East Palo Alto Women's Club Records document the history and accomplishments of the organization from 1917-1995. Starting
in 1893 as the Mother's Club, they formally incorporated on June 20, 1894 as the Woman's Club of Palo Alto with 24 members.
The main objectives of the Club focused on self-improvement, mutual aide, and community work. During their formative years,
club women played a significant role in city government through fund-raising efforts and demands for municipal services. Between
the years 1893-1896, the club founded the first reading room and library in the city, and they contributed to the founding
of the first elementary school.
Prior to California women receiving the vote in 1911, Palo Alto Club women proposed two sewer bonds and they worked to beautify
the city with trees. Following the suffrage victory, the Club expanded its membership and focused on civic and philanthropic
activities, as well as organized a variety of educational and cultural events. The club provided a social outlet for club
members through a variety of programs, including plays and musical celebrations. Today the club continues to provide leadership
in philanthropy and is affiliated with the State and National Federation of Women's Clubs.
Scope and Contents
The East Palo Alto Women's Club Records consists of administrative records and artifacts documenting the club's activities
from 1917-1995. The collection contents include standard organizational formats such as minute record books, community service
records, the organization's constitutions and by-laws, district and state reports published between 1917-1995, scrapbooks
and news clippings, and certificates and awards. In addition to the printed materials the collection includes a wooden gavel
and a workable seal stamp used by the organization.
This collection is arranged into one series I: Administrative Records and Artifacts, 1917-1995.
Please refer to The Woman's Club of Palo Alto's website.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Women -- Societies and clubs
Women's rights -- California -- San Francisco Bay Area
Women's rights -- United States -- History -- 20th century