The East Palo Alto Women's Club Records consists of administrative records and artifacts documenting the club's activities
from 1917-1995 (bulk 1920-1955). The collection contents include standard organizational formats such as minute record books,
community service records, the organization's constitutions and by-laws, district and state reports published between 1917-1995,
scrapbooks and news clippings, and certificates and awards. In addition to the printed materials the collection includes a
wooden gavel and a workable seal stamp used by the organization. This collection is arranged into one series I: Administrative
Records and Artifacts, 1917-1995 (bulk 1920-1955).
The East Palo Alto Women's Club Records document the history and accomplishments of the organization from 1917-1995 (bulk
dates 1922-1955). Starting in 1893 as the Mother's Club, they formally incorporated on June 20, 1894 as the Woman's Club of
Palo Alto with 24 members. The main objectives of the Club focused on self-improvement, mutual aide, and community work. During
their formative years, club women played a significant role in city government through fund-raising efforts and demands for
municipal services. Between the years 1893-1896, the club founded the first reading room and library in the city, and they
contributed to the founding of the first elementary school.
Prior to California women receiving the vote in 1911, Palo Alto Club women proposed two sewer bonds and they worked to beautify
the city with trees. Following the suffrage victory, the Club expanded its membership and focused on civic and philanthropic
activities, as well as organized a variety of educational and cultural events. The club provided a social outlet for club
members through a variety of programs, including plays and musical celebrations. Today the club continues to provide leadership
in philanthropy and is affiliated with the State and National Federation of Women's Clubs.
Number of containers: 3 Paige boxes
Volume: 3.75 linear feet
Copyright has not been assigned to the San Jose State University Library Special Collections and Archives. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Special Collections. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the Special Collections and Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader. Copyright restrictions
also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational
The collection is open for research.