These images primarily document Stanford buildings, including the Quad, the 1900 Library, the library and gymnasium that were
destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, Memorial Church, Memorial Arch and the museum. Other subjects include the Cactus Garden,
the Angel of Grief, Palm Drive, and the Entrance Gates. Some images of the Quad are stamped on the reverse with “F. L. Olmsted
& Co.” Two images of note are the University Mayfield Brass Band, ca. 1900, whose musicians included one African American;
and an armed man on guard duty on campus after the 1906 earthquake.
These photographs were originally held by the Stanford Museum. Some of the images are also represented in other photographic
collections within the University Archives; where possible, those that are duplicates of images in the Stanford Historical
Photograph Collection have been identified.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the
Head of Special Collections and University Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94305-6064. Consent
is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See: http://library.stanford.edu/spc/using-collections/permission-publish.
The materials are open for research use. Audio-visual materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted
to a digital use copy.