Guide to the J. Paul Getty Museum, Library Inventory and Accession Records, 1954-1965, 1977
Finding aid prepared by Sue Luftschein
Title: Library inventory and accession records
Date (inclusive): 1954-1965, 1977
J. Paul Getty Museum
0.2 linear feet
The Getty Research Institute
Institutional Records and Archives
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, California, 90049-1688
The records comprise inventories, lists, and accession records from the museum and library, listing J. Paul Getty's personal
books and furniture in the museum, reference books in the library, and books purchased for the library of the J. Paul Getty
Museum, from 1954 to 1965, and 1977.
To access physical materials at the Getty, go to the
library catalog record
for this collection and click "Request an Item." Click here for
general library access policy
. See the Administrative Information section of this finding aid for access restrictions specific to the records described
below. Please note, some of the records may be stored off site; advanced notice is required for access to these materials.
Language: Collection material is in
The J. Paul Getty Museum was established as a charitable trust in 1953 by oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in order to house his growing
art collections. The J. Paul Getty Museum originally opened in 1954 in two rooms of Mr. Getty's Ranch House in the Pacific
Palisades near Malibu, California. Each year the number of museum visitors increased, and though Mr. Getty curtailed his art
acquisitions activities beginning in 1958, the museum continued to grow. The development of the library began during the mid
to late 1950s primarily to meet the needs of Museum curators. In the early years the library was located in the curator's
office between the Ranch House and the Conservation area.
In the fall of 1968 Mr. Getty decided to build a separate museum facility on the Ranch House property. The new museum facility,
later referred to as the Getty Villa, opened to the public on January 16, 1974. The library moved to the basement of the Villa
upon completion of the building. In 1983 the Museum received J. Paul Getty's estate funds, the trust's name was officially
changed from the J. Paul Getty Museum Trust to the J. Paul Getty Trust, and the museum retained the name the J. Paul Getty
Museum. In an effort to contribute to the field of art and art history the Trust developed several programs. In 1983 the library
began by the Museum in the 1950s became part of the program the Getty Center for the History of Art and the Humanities (GCHAH).
The GCHAH was later renamed the Getty Research Institute (GRI). Today the GRI is home to one of the largest art libraries
in the world.
Restrictions on Access
The records described in accessions 1986.IA.44 and 2009.IA.35 are available for use by qualified researchers.
The following records are permanently closed: records containing personal information, records that compromise security or
operations, legal communications, legal work product, and records related to donors. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the
right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives.
[Cite the item.] Library Inventories and Accession Records, 1954-1965, 1977, J. Paul Getty Museum. Institutional Archives,
Getty Research Institute, Research Library, Finding aid no. IA20001.
The material was originally part of accession no. 1986.IA.01 but was assigned no. 1986.IA.44 in January 2006 for purposes
of providing better administrative control. Accession 2009.IA.35 was accepted as part of the Legacy Records Appraisal Project
Initial inventory created by intern post-2003; records were processed and finding aid was created by Sue Luftschein, April
14, 2005. The inventory of reference books has been xeroxed for preservation purposes due to the deterioriating condition
of the originals. In 2009 Cyndi Shein processed material accessioned during the Legacy Records Appraisal Project and revised
the finding aid accordingly.
Related Archival Materials Note
The following materials are offered as possible sources of further information on the people, programs, and subjects covered
by the records. The listing is not exhaustive.
Getty Research Institute
[Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], Architectural records, 1980-1984, 1991 and undated, Getty Center for the History
of Art and the Humanities. Institutional Archives, Research Library, Getty Research Institute, Finding aid no. IA20015.
[Cite the item (as appropriate)], Administration records, 1950–1983, undated, J. Paul Getty Trust. Institutional Records and
Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library, Finding aid no. IA10003. [In process.]
Scope and Content of Collection
The records consist of inventories, lists, and accession records from the museum and library of the J. Paul Getty Museum.
The inventories detail J. Paul Getty's personal books housed in the museum, his books from the house, inventory of furniture
from the main house (in museum offices), and reference books in the library, 1954-1964. Accession records detail books purchased
for the library, and include check numbers, amount paid, publisher or vendor, title, accession number, and catalog number,
and are dated 1954-1965. The 1977 material contains an inventory of books, which were 50 years or older as of 1977, that were
sent from the Getty-Union Bank Building and the Getty Ranch House to the J. Paul Getty Museum.
The papers are arranged according to type of list, inventory or accession record, and are in rough chronological order.
Subjects - Names
Getty, J. Paul (Jean Paul), 1892-1976
Subjects - Corporate Bodies
J. Paul Getty Museum
Subjects - Topics
Art museums--Library resources
Genres and Forms of Material
Library inventory and accession records
0.2 linear feet
Box 1986.IA.44-1, Folder 1
Inventories of books and furniture,
Box 1986.IA.44-1, Folder 2
Library book accession records,
Box 1986.IA.44-1, Folder 3
Inventories of reference books,
Box 2009.IA.35, Folder 4
Inventory of books "50 years and older,"
Scope and Content Note
This material comprises accession number 2009.IA.35 and is housed in folder no. 4 in shared box number 1986.IA.44-1. It contains
a photocopy of a hand-written inventory of books, which were 50 years or older as of 1977, that were sent from the Getty-Union
Bank Building and the Getty Ranch House to the J. Paul Getty Museum. It also includes a carbon copy of a letter introducing