The records comprise inventories, lists, and accession records from the museum and library, listing J. Paul Getty's personal
books and furniture in the museum, reference books in the library, and books purchased for the library of the J. Paul Getty
Museum, from 1954 to 1965, and 1977.
The J. Paul Getty Museum was established as a charitable trust in 1953 by oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in order to house his growing
art collections. The J. Paul Getty Museum originally opened in 1954 in two rooms of Mr. Getty's Ranch House in the Pacific
Palisades near Malibu, California. Each year the number of museum visitors increased, and though Mr. Getty curtailed his art
acquisitions activities beginning in 1958, the museum continued to grow. The development of the library began during the mid
to late 1950s primarily to meet the needs of Museum curators. In the early years the library was located in the curator's
office between the Ranch House and the Conservation area.
0.2 linear feet
Library Rights and Reproductions.
The records described in accessions 1986.IA.44 and 2009.IA.35 are available for use by qualified researchers.